Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
how much should you call when elk hunting >

how much should you call when elk hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

how much should you call when elk hunting

Old 08-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

dont call much, use cow call, and listen close for 20-30 mins before squeekin again. youll soon have em slobberin in your shirt pocket
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Spike

again you guys, i just want to say thank you, i appriciate all your help
Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

The amount and type of calling you do is dependant on the situation you are in. I employ a run N gun mentality with locate bugles to locate the herd or bulls, after that, how much and what type of calling is dependant on the bull. I strongly encourage you to not get stuck in a particular calling philosophy of just using cow calls to call in bulls. Unfortnately, bugling bulls seems to have developed a nasty reputation of sending herd bulls over the next ridge. I have found several areas torn up with tuffs of hair and blood from fighting bulls. A herd bull isn't a herd bull because he wont fight, he will if you give him no choice. The majority of our call ins are done with the bugle, but cow calling is effective in the right scenerios too. Don't put limitations on your calling based on what anybody says, base your calling on the situation at hand.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Muley70 I couldn't agree with you more. Situation dictates everything when it comes to calling especially in OTC units and heavy pressured area's. It's not done on private land like in the DVD's. Your not going to call a herd bull off a dark mountain side across a meadow to your stand when he's got his calls already gathered. Your going to have to go get in the middle of his security bubble and pop it.