Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hardest critter to hunt

Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Spike

I have hunted big game animals lots, and by lots I would imagine on average 75 days a year for big game. Now out of the species it would be elk, mule deer, antelope, whitetail, moose, black bear and mountain lion. I have hunted all with a bow and rifle. To be honest, I believe hunting a mule deer during archery season is the hardest. I don't care what people think, mule deer are extremely smart! Well atleast until the rut where there manly hood takes in, but still not with all the bucks. During archery, these bucks are usually in big bachelor heards and usually always and I mean always have a buck facing every direction. For the most part they can not be patterned and like to choose several different trails. This is just my opinion. Subject to change someday but for now will stick with muleys as the hardest.

HuntinGuy
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can walk on my porch or walk out back and have a deer within the hour. I see turkey, moose, bear and even cougar here on the property. Goat and sheep country is the next range over but getting drawn is as difficult as the hunt. But of all game my toughest challenge would be a "certain" trophy white tail buck. I'm not talking about yard deer or edge feeders, but one particular special deer. They are so difficult to pattern, especially during the rut. Most other animals are or can be patterned (maybe) or you may know where the are after seeing them the evening before, but a trophy white tail is my biggest challenge as I usually hold out till the last week in Nov. when the peak of the rut kicks off, and usually it not the most favorable of conditions but I swear they are the ghost of the forest.

Bobby
Attached Thumbnails Hardest critter to hunt-montana-aug.2010-011.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by needs_recoil
This can be said about any mature animal for any species though. Consistently finding trophy mule deer or elk is no easy task. The sheep hunts Ive been on in nevada can definately wear on you in every aspect. Yet I still cant imagine how tough a mountain goat hunt could be. Based on habitat only I would think this would be the toughest hunt in north america.

it's the sheep and the goats that test my skills as an outdoorsman every year.

once i hunted feral sheep and goats in public land in hawaii. i've NEVER been challenged more. difficult terrain, small animals and lots of public pressure. i could move there and truly be in paradise.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 300+ bull elk.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I love hunting, but I don't have the money to hunt the stuff alot of other guys here do. BUT I have made the effort to do some camera hunting these last three years. Mountain Goat were by far the toughest. Granted, I found some in Colorado (Mount Evans Area) That I could just walk up to, so I don't count those. But here's a few shots of real wild Mountain Goats and a few other fun stalks I've had. (Granted, with a camera)

-Jake
Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

A few more

Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Spike

Question is a little vauge. Hardest in what aspect. Physicat goats sheep and mountain lion are suposed to be a demanding pysical chalenge. Mentaliy I can hunt myself ragged hunting a bull elk for the month of september in the colorado rockys. White tails are easy compared to the mountain critters in my openion. Keep in mind openions are like butt holes everyone has one and they all stink lol.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Poor Man
Question is a little vauge. Hardest in what aspect. Physicat goats sheep and mountain lion are suposed to be a demanding pysical chalenge. Mentaliy I can hunt myself ragged hunting a bull elk for the month of september in the colorado rockys. White tails are easy compared to the mountain critters in my openion. Keep in mind openions are like butt holes everyone has one and they all stink lol.
for me, whitetail hunting is so formulaic it's long past the realm of challenge. sit in a treestand with whatever bow the pro-shop tells you to buy, with a range finder that tells you how to adjust your point of aim. while wearing clothing that masks your scent. while sitting in front of a foodplot or row-crop field which attracts deer with high protien feed in an area you know has big deer from your trail cam pictures. it's repeated by everybody out there, every year. i still bowhunt whitetails every year because the tags are cheap.

this year i killed a doe off of horseback with my recurve (after many failed attempts including one ending in breaking my thumb) GIVE ME ADRENALINE!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Almost sounds like "Larry" a little bit..........Is that you Relentless ???
Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Spike

Archery Elk on DIY Public Land!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.