Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bears and Trail Cams

Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I've been lucky with the bear pics I got. They weren't interested in the camera. Perhaps because it is an IR and not a flash.
Yeah, you most likely were lucky. Mine is an IR camera and there is a lot of them up here that get attacked by bears.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

I've had two camera's taken by bear, one an IR and one a flash. I build my own bear boxes now to keep my camera's safe and I lock my camera's tot he tree as well. The first camera I thought someone stole, but now i think it was a bear(I never did find the camera) but the second camera was laying about 8 feet from the tree and I was able to salvage it with some epoxy to the outer casing. No good pictures of the bear that tried to eat the camera either, just it's ear right before it took it off the tree.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have had two stealth cam destroyed by bears. I have a pic somewhere of the bears open mouth as he was about to bite the cam. I'll post it if I can find it.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Spike

I didn't know bears eat cameras. This is good information. I really like the pictures, wish we could get some better one though. I did some research and it looks like many manufactures make security boxes for their cameras. Looks like Skypoint, Moultrie, and Covert II all make them. Anybody tried any of these? Would love a review or two.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

get a bunch of big branches and make a mess of them at the base of the tree you put the camera on. The odd curious bear won't bother it with this obstruction in the way.

I have a bear box on mine but I am told if they want to rip at bad enough the bear box will just rip off with it.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Here are some pics i got, good thing i made that bear box because he was at it again. Had a timber wolf, lynx,and a couple big bears pass by my Cam.
Attached Thumbnails Bears and Trail Cams-trail-cam-pics-006.jpg   Bears and Trail Cams-trail-cam-pics-010.jpg   Bears and Trail Cams-trail-cam-pics-007.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I hunted over a pile of trail cameras, would that be considered baiting?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Spike

We have baited for two years and have hundreds of pictures from our sites. The person that handles the trail camera must have clean hands(very important). Ours are simple flash cameras and without boxes and they have never been damaged. I have also watched bears at the site when the flash goes off and they don't even bother to look.

This has been my experience so far but that may change at any time.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another bear on my trail camera and untouched.

The date on the camera is wrong. This was from Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails Bears and Trail Cams-labor-20day-20bear-202-1-.jpg   Bears and Trail Cams-labor-20day-20bear-203-1-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mehunter_2007
We have baited for two years and have hundreds of pictures from our sites. The person that handles the trail camera must have clean hands(very important). Ours are simple flash cameras and without boxes and they have never been damaged. I have also watched bears at the site when the flash goes off and they don't even bother to look.

This has been my experience so far but that may change at any time.
This advise is dead on. My first year baiting had my cameras messed with until I figured out the bears were just following the scent of the bait I had left on the cameras as I would set them up after handling the bear bait.

Last two years baiting haven't had any problems as I either check the camera before handling the bait or I bring along rubber gloves to handle the camera.

Enjoy the pictures, some of my best pictures and videos are of sows with their cubs playing around the bait.

Here's the "booner" I shot in 2008 who has just walked past the camera without a bother:

Last edited by W9ARcher; 09-11-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.