Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
FREE Peak Elk Bugling Dates >

FREE Peak Elk Bugling Dates

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

FREE Peak Elk Bugling Dates

Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default FREE Peak Elk Bugling Dates

If you wnt to know when pek elk bugling occurs in many states, just Google "Peak Elk Bugling Dates".

If you have questions on elk biology and behavior, or elk hunting techniques - fire away. I'm here to help.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by trmichels
If you wnt to know when pek elk bugling occurs in many states, just Google "Peak Elk Bugling Dates".

If you have questions on elk biology and behavior, or elk hunting techniques - fire away. I'm here to help.

God bless,

T.R.
Hello T.R.

We are going to be hunting the 1st elk rifle season GMU 075. We still havent pin pointed where we will be hunting, but somewhere between Durango and Pagosa.
Will elk be bugling in any kind of late rut type manner? I was thinking just get a hoochie mamma to stop an animal for a shot.
This will be our 1st time hunting elk and hunting CO.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

First I need you hunting dates, secnd, It can depend a lo on how much the elk have been harrassed by humna by then, and how many of them have moved to get away from humans. I'v seen elk move10 miles to get saay form hunting pressure. All in all bugling will be down due to human activity. But, provide me your hunt dates and I can make a guesstimate for you.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

SW Montana region 3 near Dillon units 331/332

archery season opens sept. 4th.

will either be hunting opener or about a week later mid september...
Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

When you've studied elk as long as I have, and begin to understand her dynmics, annhow bull to cow ratio, affcts bugling, your question tends to have more variables than many hunters would think.

I did a little more checkiing. The San Juan elk herd is about 19,000 animals, but the bull to cow rationis low, with roughly 15 bulls to 100 cows (15:100). I always tell hunters that when the bull to cow ratio reaches 30 to 100, you're getting into a trophy situation, becaue it taks elk 7.5-8.5 years to reach maturity, when they can put unneeded bone and muscle nutrients into anlter growth.

I mention age because it helps explain the age structure of the bulls in the herd. with 15:100 there might be only 1 really large racked bull for every 100 cows in the area.

But, you were talking about bugling, which is a diferent dynamic. Bulls reach the age when they bugle regularly by the time the are 3 years old. And 3 year old bulls can grow 6x6 racks, and there might be 3-5 three year olds per 100 cows. Sow, with dynamics like tht ther could be a lot of competition for cows, whcih migh not remain loyal to the bulls, because of their young age. Young bulls tend to be more aggressive with cows than older bulls are, which can result in two things. Inorder to keep order in the ranks, yong bulls may bugle more than normal, trying to emphasize theri social status in the herd. But, because they ar often in a hurry to breed, and might be rouhg with the cow, which leads to cows trying to escape his harm. ADN h will usually do one of two things, if not both. He will bugld to try to kep the cows aruns, or he migh not havr time to buglem becaue he is busy chasing cows that are trying to leave the harm.

YOu hunt dats should be Oct 16-20, with both the arcerhy season and the muzzleloaader sewson before you. They aer probably not enoogh to drive elk out of the area, which leaves the possibilty of bugling open. But, peak bugling for both Sept, an dOct is about over for that time, so id expect bugling tio be low.

It appears the elk are using the old burn in the area a lot, because it produces the kind of forage they like. So, you get up high in the evenings, and glass and listen, to locate bulls to hunt. You might even use cow calls toget bacchelor bulls to anwer. I like to let lose with a bugle in themorning, to see (listen) whr ethe bulls ar, Then check a topo to see If I can the to them before 9 AM, when the often head to bedding areas.

If you can't get to a bull in the evening, and it is with cows, realize that if they are not harrassed they will often bed down in or near food sources, and still be there the next morning. Which gives you another chance to get near enough for a shot. Get a topo or an aerial map, look it over for opnenings and water to find normal elk use areas. I look for openings on benches, which they seem to like.

Hope that helps.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

That Montana hunt could have bugling due to the second bugling peak, which often coincides with (and occurs because of) 3-year old and younger cows coming into estrus. NO matter wher II hunt elk, I would pck nid September as my primary date to hunt, unless I" know" they do not begin to breed in early Septemberm, for some reason.

I'd suggest anyone hunting elk get a good book on the biology and behavior of elk, so you understand them better, like most of you understand whitetails.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Spike

T.R. I would like to know about the peak elk bugling for New Mexico, unit 12 is near Quemado, NM.

I looked on your website and nothing is posted for NM. I usually hunt 1st in oct and the elk are usually chasing and bulging like crazy. Due to work, etc... i cant go till the first week of November, starting the 6th.

It will be private land and yes there will be hunters hunting first 3 weeks of oct. and then there will be about 10 days of no hunters before I arrive.

Any insight (calling) would be helpful as I still learning.... and trying to scratch the itch to my obsession of elk hunting.

Thanks, Lee
Old 09-10-2010, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

The property I hunt/work on has a ton of elk, its on private land. I have been doin alot of hunting and scouting up their latley and about every time I go out I see at least 15-20 bulls and maybe 3-4 cows. I am just curious to see what you think, I never have really liked bugling just cause I havent had much succes with it. I have the Imaka da bull crazy call by primos and it works almost every time, do you think the bull to cow ratio as a something to do with this? Almost all the bulls I see are big 6x6's and bigger. Which us outfitters dont mind ha ha. But I know this is probably considered a unhealthy herd, what are some effects that I could except to see in the next couple years?
Old 09-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why not just post the dates here instead of trying to lure people to your site?
Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gowkout
T.R. I would like to know about the peak elk bugling for New Mexico, unit 12 is near Quemado, NM.

I looked on your website and nothing is posted for NM. I usually hunt 1st in oct and the elk are usually chasing and bulging like crazy. Due to work, etc... i cant go till the first week of November, starting the 6th.

It will be private land and yes there will be hunters hunting first 3 weeks of oct. and then there will be about 10 days of no hunters before I arrive.

Any insight (calling) would be helpful as I still learning.... and trying to scratch the itch to my obsession of elk hunting.

Thanks, Lee
By November the breeding seasons is basically over, so bugling id often so sporadic that there is no noticeable peak, especially after 3 weeks of hunitng pressure.

If you hear bugling, move as fast as you can toward the sound, cow cals may work to keep the bull bugling. As you go toward the bugling, keep looking for the bull, so you spot it first.

Good luck and God bless,

T.R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.