Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Cub Killers

Old 07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing, if everyone held out for a 200+ pound bear, what would the harvest numbers be? WAY lower than they are now.

With nusiance bear reports sky-rocketing, if hunting can not be considered an effective way to control the population, we hunters end up being taken out of the equation.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PA Big Game Hunter
I like how you keep taking shots at me when in reality I probably have seen more black bears then you.

Guys who talk about how much more they've done or seen than someone else generally haven't.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by moosemike
Guys who talk about how much more they've done or seen than someone else generally haven't.
I don't care if you believe me or not. I have been going to my camp my whole life. I might be there for a total of around a month. A week with weekends thrown in. There have been times when I'd be there for a week and see a different bear.everyday. So if you wanna see me not care, it looks like this, you can't see my face but I assure you it looks the same
Old 07-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in the outfitting now and past problems around my area is just too many nuisance bears. One farmer in my area had 13 plus bears shot and waisted by locals just to save his grain. This is not right and far worse than shooting a cub in my opinion. May be if more people hunted bear, and shot the odd cub we wouldn't have such a big problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PA Big Game Hunter
I like how you keep taking shots at me when in reality I probably have seen more black bears then you.
I usually don't respond to these kind of threads and I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't live in Pa. But a Black bear is a Black bear. I've been an outfitter providing Black bear hunts for 35 years. I've shot several hundred myself. Whether they be nuisance bears, aggressive bears at my baits or bears I wanted for meat and mounts. None of them have ever been wasted. All meat was used and all hides used. They've ranged in size from 725 lbs. to 100 lbs.

I have clients that come here with the express intent of shooting a bear of 150 lbs or less for meat. I have other guys that come up here looking for a world record. Our bear population has exploded in the last 5 to 10 years due to the cancellation of the spring bear hunt and a limit of 1 per hunter. This is July 28th, so far I have had 18 bears in camp doing a lot of damage. I've had my clients take all garbage inside the cottages and all other garbage is transported out daily. I had a sow with 2 cubs go right through the front door, that's storm door and inside door, with 5 people in the cottage, lights on and talking. Lucky, no one was hurt and we didn't have to kill any of the bears because they left through the 8 ft. picture window.

I about 3 weeks our season opens. My clients are allowed to take any bear they wish. I advise them all how to judge the size and weight of the animal but whether it's their first bear or their 10th, adrenaline, excitement or pure achievement that gets a bear shot, I couldn't tell you. Probably all of the above.

But as long as you paid your money for your license and you are not doing anything illegal, no one, including you has a right to tell a hunter what and what not to shoot. If you don't like what's going on in Pa. spend some money and change some laws or quit hunting.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE55
I had a sow with 2 cubs go right through the front door, that's storm door and inside door, with 5 people in the cottage, lights on and talking. Lucky, no one was hurt and we didn't have to kill any of the bears because they left through the 8 ft. picture window.
Wonder how many of those five had an accident in their pants
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Probably about all of them because they were fishermen. LOL
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE55
I usually don't respond to these kind of threads and I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't live in Pa. But a Black bear is a Black bear. I've been an outfitter providing Black bear hunts for 35 years. I've shot several hundred myself. Whether they be nuisance bears, aggressive bears at my baits or bears I wanted for meat and mounts. None of them have ever been wasted. All meat was used and all hides used. They've ranged in size from 725 lbs. to 100 lbs.

I have clients that come here with the express intent of shooting a bear of 150 lbs or less for meat. I have other guys that come up here looking for a world record. Our bear population has exploded in the last 5 to 10 years due to the cancellation of the spring bear hunt and a limit of 1 per hunter. This is July 28th, so far I have had 18 bears in camp doing a lot of damage. I've had my clients take all garbage inside the cottages and all other garbage is transported out daily. I had a sow with 2 cubs go right through the front door, that's storm door and inside door, with 5 people in the cottage, lights on and talking. Lucky, no one was hurt and we didn't have to kill any of the bears because they left through the 8 ft. picture window.

I about 3 weeks our season opens. My clients are allowed to take any bear they wish. I advise them all how to judge the size and weight of the animal but whether it's their first bear or their 10th, adrenaline, excitement or pure achievement that gets a bear shot, I couldn't tell you. Probably all of the above.

But as long as you paid your money for your license and you are not doing anything illegal, no one, including you has a right to tell a hunter what and what not to shoot. If you don't like what's going on in Pa. spend some money and change some laws or quit hunting.
Great post!! I too have been bear hunting for many years, 22 to be exact. Judging bear Is no easy task. I'm much better then I used to be but It took a long time. As for them 110 lb cubs someone mentioned, no way possible!! 1.5 year olds there like Phil from Maine said.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

Regardless of what age those 110 pound "cubs" were, they were still running with mom.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

sorry mike but your all wet...the bear i killed when i was a kid and the bear my pal walter killed was all by them selfs...not to say something didnt happen to the mother and the game warrden told walt his bear was a grown male,,just not big....just like people i guess ,,,,some get big some dont

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.