Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

The Knuckelhead Awards

Old 07-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Knuckelhead Awards

If you've been hunting long enough,you've heard of or encountered unsafe people in the woods.Tell your story and nominate that person or people here.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember antelope hunting in WY a few years back, and a couple of guys went over a hill/ridge, we were antelope hunting, they had NO ORANGE on at all, believe WY requires 1 piece of orange, ie a hat or vest, they had nothing on, and of course right then 2 buck antelope run between us and these 2, couldn't fire because who knew where those other 2 guys went...I'm sure other hunters would have fired, ie had the roles been reversed, I'd probably have been taking cover....of course I had orange on...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

I took wildlife management courses in college for my Zoology degree, and we had a conservation officer speaking at one of our lectures. The craziest story he told was of two fellas on some public land in Missouri during rifle season. They possibly had the worst great idea in history. The two intellectually deficient hunters fashioned a blind using a doe decoy with brush behind it, and they were to shoot through a hole cut through the gut of the decoy. What could go wrong with a setup like that?
Nothing like hiding in a deer during a rifle season...

rw
Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't specifically know the outcome for the hunter but the situation is certainly worth telling.It was BP deer season in '04.I had hunted an area up until 1:00 p.m.The area had seemed unproductive so I decided to check out a nearby spot.Coming down the firetrail I heard a shot maybe 40 or so yards in the woods.I wondered what the hunter got.The following day came a news report of a hunter being shot.That's the shot I heard.The victim received a BP load in the abdomen.The shooter was 16.The victim had sufficient blaze orange and was carrying a tree stand.I later discussed this w/another friend who hunts the area.I was told the victim diied after 2 weeks in the hospital.Looked that up before making this post and couldn't verify the fatality.A knuckelhead award is certainly deserved by the shooter.Be safe this year and happy hunting.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default some knuckleheads

Buddy of mine at work told me he saw someone shoot himself in the foot while bowfishing, pinned him to the deck. My father-in-law still has a buckshot in his head from a kid, he was yelling at the kid ''don't shoot'' and waving his arms. Kid shot him anyway. I had some green turkey hunter do a stalk on my jake decoy this spring. I stood up and there he was 35 yds away!! scared the heck out of me. 5 more steps and he would have shot the deke. I'm glad he didn't shoot me.