Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
what is the must have elk call when archery hunting? >

what is the must have elk call when archery hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what is the must have elk call when archery hunting?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Typical Buck

I really have fell in love with Berry's Thunderbugle. I was never all that great with a mouth reed and most mouth pieces were impossible for me to use. But this on particular call is so easy to use it's almost second nature. I also pack Skeery cow calls the bite and blow kind. I find them easy to use. Beings I'm practicing alot for hunters I want to atleast sound as best I can. LOL. Situation dictates the call for me. You can sound like totall crap in the right situation. I know the Hoochie Mama is great for alot of people I've just never had it work for me in the field.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I too lke the Hoochi Mama especially during the rifle hunt. I have a large pocket in my vest and can actually call with 1 hand while it is in the pocket. It has worked countless times to either slow down or stop a running herd or calm down some suspicious cows/ bulls. Easy to use and you can't screw it up makes it my go to call.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

I personaly am not of fan of the hoochie mama call because for one, a good precentage of the people that buy the call are rookies because it is so easy to use, Wich results in a bunch of rookies walkin through the woods honkin on their hoochie, and elk are not dumb animals they will quickly learn not to go to that call. The hoochie mama call can only make one sound and a cow elk can make about five. With a mouth call you have control of the pitch, tone, and volume wich if done right you can almost always call in a bull, or at least get him talkin. I have been able to always call in a bull or get him talkin with my mouth call ( Imakada bull-crazy call). Hoochie mama is a good call if your a rookie at the sport, but otherwise I would stick with a mouth call.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunting near rookies honking on a HM is really a good thing. You just get away from them and the elk will do the same. Most rookies won't go the extra mile to get away from the roads and after first light on the first day the elk will certainly go where the hunters are scarce. The HM isn't my only elk call but I probably use it the most because of ease of use. I can make more than one call from it and knowing when and how to call is more important than anything else. Now they have a calf call that sounds pretty interesting. For the record the south central Co. elk herd I am usually around doesn't seem to be sick of the HM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

There is no question the one call I wouldn't do w/o is a simple diaphram. I can cow call and bugle, hands free while varying pitch/tone and make multiple calls. Also, you don't even need a tube although I use one, but I can bugle with or w/o a grunt tube.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

There is no one must have in my opinion, there are too many situations you find yourself in. On one hunt sure you may have perfect conditions and get your bull 15 minutes into it but the next year might be a totally different situation and you've gotta work for it.

But if I had to single out one call I've gotta be honest I am totally shocked at the success I have with an external reed cow call and how few people use them. I suppose part of it lies in how you use it. BTW I can also call in coyotes with that thing all day as well. If you know how to use it you can make every sound a cow makes and even small bulls. The external reeds have a much raspier sound and in my opnion sound better than a diaphram when cow calling.

Hoochie Mama's have their place...again it's all about how you use them. With a few hoochies (and they do make more than one sound due to the adjustability on the tip) along with a mouth call I can sound like several elk talking at the same time all by my lonesome.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can have callers behind you using whatever kind of call they want that works. However, for the bowhunter himself, the below 2 answers are the absolute best way to do it. When you get in tight with the elk, hands free diaphram is the only way to go.

Originally Posted by Muley70
There is no question the one call I wouldn't do w/o is a simple diaphram. I can cow call and bugle, hands free while varying pitch/tone and make multiple calls. Also, you don't even need a tube although I use one, but I can bugle with or w/o a grunt tube.
Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
It doesn't matter what brand but you need to learn to use a mouth call. I prefer the Primos mouth calls myself. When your bowhunting and you need to stop or turn a bull when it is 15 yards away and you have your bow in your hand (maybe even at full draw) a hoochie mama isn't going to do you any good at all.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
You can have callers behind you using whatever kind of call they want that works. However, for the bowhunter himself, the below 2 answers are the absolute best way to do it. When you get in tight with the elk, hands free diaphram is the only way to go.
Right and singling out that one situation you are correct but thats why I say there is not one "go to" call. There are just so many situations you find yourself in.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

depending on the area you're hunting, if they're call shy, over called to, you may be better off just having a bugle and cow call just in case, but in fact may never even want to use it....if they're making noise on their own...
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
Right and singling out that one situation you are correct but thats why I say there is not one "go to" call. There are just so many situations you find yourself in.
I have to disagree with you. The original OP asked about bowhunting. When you are bow hunting, the only way to stop an elk, in a hands free method, is with a mouth call. You refer to singling out that one situation?? What other situation would you want when you are bow hunting? You want to be close and you need to stop the elk with a call for a good shot. Bow hunting elk basics, that's the only good answer. Period.

Edit-There is no elk sound, that I know of, that cannot be made with a diaphram call. I'll go a step farther... there is no elk sound that can be made better than a good caller with a diaphram mouth call. It's the best way to call elk.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 07-08-2010 at 04:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.