Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Dilema's

Old 06-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Elk Hunting Dilema's

I'm curious if anyone else is like me choosing a method of hunt for elk everyyear?

I love hunting archery for Elk. My skills agains his skills. The stalk, the close up personal shots. Calling a bull right in on top of you.

Muzzleloading ahh the prime time just before the main rut and you get to cheat a little bit during archery season. The thump of that massive maxiball crashing into a bull.

Rifle season where nothing is safe providing time and a good rest. All those what if's during archery season go right out the window.

Elk season right around the corner and I've changed my mind atleast 20 times. Now I don't have a muzzleloader tag it's either Archery or Rifle season. I do like getting first go at them in Archery and then again I love knowing that bull isn't making it over that ridge in rifle season. Choices choices.

Thank God I can still have choices and hunt everyyear for elk. Thanks Colorado you may not be the best quality state but your fairest state for all that want to just go hunt the wapiti.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I choose to hunt elk with an legal method I can. I hunt in two states when I have funding and permission from the "war department".
This year I will archery hunt elk first in my home state of Montana, then rifle hunt elk in Wyoming, then rifle hunt elk again in Montana if I still have a tag.

Last edited by Wolf killer; 06-30-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd love to rifle hunt elk, but drawing quality tags for rifle are usually very long shots, also rifle rut tags are even rarer, so I'm usually an archery rut only kinda a guy.

but ya whatever I have the tag for...

I haven't had much luck in my hunting career I tell ya, I see game, but either something too small/not legal, or just outta range or standing behind a tree/bush etc...

I'm gonna make it happen this year though! Time to get serious and make stuff happen! I'm done with nature hikes while carrying a bow and tag...haha.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Red face

We are going to go with OTC bull tags since we didnt draw, but I have NO idea where to go since half the state is OTC and I've already been unsuccessful in so many units. Time for a night night of pouring over maps on the kitchen table...
Old 07-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmm I think I'll just get a OTC tag and got back to the same canyon I hunt every year, stand in the same place I do every year and hopefully shoot a nice and tasty spike!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Didn't draw for a cow tag so second season OTC for me.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

I face the same dilemma year after after and no matter what I do it's never enough.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like Wyoming because I can just put in or buy a general tag and archery hunt in September and if you don't fill that tag it is good for the rifle seasons in the area or all general areas. So I can do both, I prefer archery though.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Spike

x2 in wyoming for same reasons, except i don't go general, if i don't get a any elk tag, i just go with an antlerless elk tag for my area. goin on 10 elk in a row this year