Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your Dream Elk Hunt...?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a vision of my perfect elk hunt. My perfect hunt is not measured in terms of antler points or antler score. I would like to take home elk meat from my perfect elk hunt, but whether it is a cow or bull does not figure into the picture. If it is a bull, I'm OK with that, but the rack score just has no relationship to the measure by which I would judge the degree to which the hunt approached perfection.

My pefect elk hunt would involve riding back into the wilderness on horses. I've done wilderness backpaking hunts and just plain old wilderness backpacking trips. I think it would be nice to let the horses do the heavy climbing and long distance walking. Elk camp would be several canvas wall tents, a separate cooking/eating tent. There would be wood stoves in the tents for heating. I would like to make my hunt with decent, honest hunters who were passionate about elk hunting and loved it for itself. I would like to be hunting near treeline. I would like to have a guide -- or even better hunt unguided -- that was just as concerned about making a good, ethical hunt as about bagging a big rack for his client (this is not a stab at guides -- I suppose mostly guides accommodate themselves to the wishes of their clients).

My perfect elk hunt would be a rifle hunt, preferably first season when the elk are not stirred up yet. I would like to take my elk while moderate snow was falling. I think the mountains look very beautiful with snow falling. I say "moderate" because heavy snow fall will likely mix the joy of seeing the snow fall with the anxiety of getting an elk out in the context of heavy snow or fear that the outfitter may close up camp and ride everyone out before I took an elk. With moderate snow, maybe those anxieties will not surface. I would like to drop my elk with the first shot and would hope that the elk would die quickly. I would like to take my elk at least a couple of days before the end of the hunt, so I could spend at least a day lolling about camp -- sleeping in late, absent mindedly reading a book, looking over the cook's shoulder, taking a short hike out of camp to look out over the countryside -- basking in the satisfaction of having taken my elk. By the same token, I would prefer not to take my elk on opening day: in this case, it can seem like the hunt was over too soon.

As an extra dimension to this "perfect elk hunt" scenario, it would be cool to add in some other elements. For example, it would be nice to do this trip with my son. It would be nice to accompany my son while he did the hunting rather than myself. Alternatively, my son could hunt independently from me and we could both hunt elk (what would be done with all the meat if both of us took an elk?!!!). Another element of this "perfect elk hunt," but veering off somewhat towards fantasy, would be that my wife could join me in camp and stay in the tent, sharing the elk camp experience. Maybe the camp would be one I set up myself rather than an outfitter's camp. A drawback of this scenario, however, is the headache that would no doubt be involved in doing all the hard work of setting up such a camp, wrangling with all the gear needed to make it work, dealing with pack animals and riding animals (which I have no experience with). All in all, an outfitted hunt is more practical in many ways for a "back in the wilderness" hunt such as I am envisioning as my perfect elk hunt.

Last edited by Alsatian; 07-07-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Spike

I guess being younger and still a meat hunter I would love just the chance at one of these trophy hunts guided would be great. But being the cost of these hunts keeps going up may never have that chance. Until then the 45 dollar utah gen tag and my two feet will have to do.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alsatian
I have a vision of my perfect elk hunt. My perfect hunt is not measured in terms of antler points or antler score. I would like to take home elk meat from my perfect elk hunt, but whether it is a cow or bull does not figure into the picture. If it is a bull, I'm OK with that, but the rack score just has no relationship to the measure by which I would judge the degree to which the hunt approached perfection.

My pefect elk hunt would involve riding back into the wilderness on horses. I've done wilderness backpaking hunts and just plain old wilderness backpacking trips. I think it would be nice to let the horses do the heavy climbing and long distance walking. Elk camp would be several canvas wall tents, a separate cooking/eating tent. There would be wood stoves in the tents for heating. I would like to make my hunt with decent, honest hunters who were passionate about elk hunting and loved it for itself. I would like to be hunting near treeline. I would like to have a guide -- or even better hunt unguided -- that was just as concerned about making a good, ethical hunt as about bagging a big rack for his client (this is not a stab at guides -- I suppose mostly guides accommodate themselves to the wishes of their clients).

My perfect elk hunt would be a rifle hunt, preferably first season when the elk are not stirred up yet. I would like to take my elk while moderate snow was falling. I think the mountains look very beautiful with snow falling. I say "moderate" because heavy snow fall will likely mix the joy of seeing the snow fall with the anxiety of getting an elk out in the context of heavy snow or fear that the outfitter may close up camp and ride everyone out before I took an elk. With moderate snow, maybe those anxieties will not surface. I would like to drop my elk with the first shot and would hope that the elk would die quickly. I would like to take my elk at least a couple of days before the end of the hunt, so I could spend at least a day lolling about camp -- sleeping in late, absent mindedly reading a book, looking over the cook's shoulder, taking a short hike out of camp to look out over the countryside -- basking in the satisfaction of having taken my elk. By the same token, I would prefer not to take my elk on opening day: in this case, it can seem like the hunt was over too soon.

As an extra dimension to this "perfect elk hunt" scenario, it would be cool to add in some other elements. For example, it would be nice to do this trip with my son. It would be nice to accompany my son while he did the hunting rather than myself. Alternatively, my son could hunt independently from me and we could both hunt elk (what would be done with all the meat if both of us took an elk?!!!). Another element of this "perfect elk hunt," but veering off somewhat towards fantasy, would be that my wife could join me in camp and stay in the tent, sharing the elk camp experience. Maybe the camp would be one I set up myself rather than an outfitter's camp. A drawback of this scenario, however, is the headache that would no doubt be involved in doing all the hard work of setting up such a camp, wrangling with all the gear needed to make it work, dealing with pack animals and riding animals (which I have no experience with). All in all, an outfitted hunt is more practical in many ways for a "back in the wilderness" hunt such as I am envisioning as my perfect elk hunt.
What a great post. I am fortunate in that most hunters we bring into camp share this philosophy. Good post.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

I like your post Alsatian,

That's the spirit.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

the perfect hunt for me would have to be wheres there no people and a person can enjoy and take their time.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dream hunt!

I am going on my dream hunt next year. I am going on my first ever elk hunt with friends into the Rocky Mountains in Wyoming. My friend has been out 2 times previously with friends that have been out several times prior. We will be hunting 100% DIY and packing in on horse several miles back into grizzly country and hunting for 14 days and then packing back out. I am really looking forward to the entire experience as well as the elk hunting! Just something to be said about having to pack heat while attempting to sleep with nothing but a canvas tent seperating you from nature! The area is supposed to be really good with lots of elk and no other hunter sightings in 28 previous days of hunting. I'm stoked!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was last year. I had moved away from Wyoming and wasn't able to hunt or draw a tag when I did have the chance. I moved back to Wyoming in 08 and was able to hunt elk again last year. I was out there archery hunting elk again and just enjoying the elk in September. I did not get one with my bow but this year is another year and a better chance since I now know the area. Just like most have stated I would be happy with any elk and my bow, a big elk for the wall would be a defenite plus but I enjoy the freezer full of elk. It is one of my favorite meats.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool

My dream elk hunt happened last fall. Its the first time I have ever shot an elk. It was approximalty 30 min. before the end of shooting hours. And I was walking to a watering hole without thinking I would see anything worth shooting if anything at all. The wind was blowing from east to west. I rounded a small hill right before the watering hole. And there he stood, A beautiful 5x5 bull. I dropped to the ground and becuase of the wind he didn't hear or smell me. I got my wits about me loaded and loaded my bow. He was feeding when I first saw him and now he was heading back into the timber. He stoped broadside when he saw me, right in front of the setting sun. He was in a beautiful silloete. My shot was true, about 40 yards. Strait into the heart. He ran 30 yards and dropped. What an experiance.

This year my dream hunt is being able to go out with my dad and get an elk, deer or antelope. Doesn't matter which or how big, doe or buck/bull just as long as he is with me.

Last edited by stuckinthereeds; 07-16-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Spike

I am married to my hunting partner and I get sucked into staying at his parents every year when I can not stand to be around them that long. The parents are in a good location to hunt from with nice amenities, but that is about it. I would rather crap in a hole in the woods than spend any time with them (I am sure someone can relate). Husband would rather have his mom cook dinner for him and sleep in a bed than actually get out there and camp. His parents drive me insane! These people go out of their way to annoy me and totally ruin my hunting experience in more ways than I can explain. Hubs doesn't do anything to curb their behavior towards me. Leaves me in a terrible position to have to do my best to ignore their baiting and pettiness. My dream hunt would be to camp away from them during hunting season out on our own without them meddling and trying to tell me what to do. Next year I am dropping my own camp and staying at it by myself if husband wants to suckle at the teat of his parents he can stay with them. I am going to have that dream hunt of peace and freedom.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read and then reread this topic. It's an oldie but goodie from 2010. I'm not sure why you revived it to complain about your hubby and inlaws. Not saying those aren't legitimate issues and problems but this topic was about a dream elk hunt, not family problems. And for the record, my dream elk hunt would be horses in high country with wall tents. Hard to go wrong with an adventure like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.