Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your Dream Elk Hunt...?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Your Dream Elk Hunt...?

What's your dream elk hunt? If it's already happened tell us a little info, but my question is more of a where will this elk hunt take place? what weapon would you be ideally using? do you have an ideal elk you're looking for? 6x6 etc...or 330", 400" etc...?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted elk a handful of times, no animal on the ground to show for my efforts yet. While I mostly bowhunt, I would love to take an elk with my .340wby.

I love a big typical 7x7. If I'm ever fortunate to take such a beast, I really don't know what my reaction would be.

I think my dream elk hunt would take place in Nevada.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

been on several elk hunts and all are dreams come true. The country they live in is amazing and pick the right hunting partners and have a great time. Hunted archery and muzzleloader and harvested elk with both, all do it yourself. Something every serious hunter should do once in your life, but watch out go once and you'll have to go back.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Id like to shoot an elk with my bow or muzzleloader. My elk hunt hasnt happened yet but hopefully in the next few years
Old 06-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

My dream is a DIY hunt in either Colorado or the Wyoming Big Horn mts. It involves my .30-06 and I really don't care what size Elk I get. I'll just be happy to get one.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by moosemike
My dream is a DIY hunt in either Colorado or the Wyoming Big Horn mts. It involves my .30-06 and I really don't care what size Elk I get. I'll just be happy to get one.
I know what OTC means but what is DIY?
Shot a few elk........all Bulls OTC.
My dream hunt is always being with friends and family, rifle and early september with the rut on, and always hunting public land.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Spike

DIY = Do It Yourself. There are arguable definitions of DIY, depending upon the person. Some claim that it has to be a backpacking trip, but for me, it simply means "not guided".
Old 06-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Guided horse hunt.....that way, some one else can get the dam thing out! Nice tent camp with about 4 hunters...take a couple of weeks in back country.
Dan
Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed a few elk all with bow all OTC all DIY in CO. A bivy bow hunt by my self deep in bob just me and any bull over 5 years old !
Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

My dream elk hunt would be to hunt them with a bow or muzzleloader (can't decide which I'd rather do more) in a trophy unit right here in my home state of Utah. The unit I'm thinking of is managed so that the average age of the bulls taken are 7 to 8 years old. Monster bulls and few tags handed out means you'll have some privacy. I can also draw an "any weapon" tag so that I can hunt with bow, muzzleloader, or even a rifle if I choose.

I would do this trip on horseback with a back country canvas hotel as my home. I can't think of any better elk hunt than waking up at 4 am in my flannel lined sleeping bag on my cot and feeling the warmth of the wood burning stove, making some coffee and oatmeal then walking outside and seeing my breath before dawn in this unit. Once I do that and see my daughter marry the good Lord can call me home and I'll feel complete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.