Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your Dream Elk Hunt...?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably a Wall tent camp, horseback hunt in British Columbia. 300 wm, 75 gr of RL 22 under a 180gr Nosler Partition @ 3100fps.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My dream was just to get to colorado 1x to bowhunt for elk. I was able to do that in 06', on a fully guided hunt. Being from NY, and only hunted whitetails, I had no clue about hunting elk. I did the hunt w/Winterhawk Outfitters. They were a first class family oriented outfit. I wasn't successful, but came darn close to a 6x7 bull. It was a dream come true. But I soon realized 1x wasn't enough. I went back on 08', and going back this Sept. Whether I get a elk or not it doesn't matter, just the opportunity to hunt in Colorado makes me so happy. A Elk would just be a bonus. Besides if I did get one, my wife would be saying now you don't need to go back, hahahaha!!!

Last edited by BuckAlley; 06-28-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 AM
Typical Buck

I've hunted elk everyyear since I was of legal age to do so. That has turned into a lot of racks hanging in the house, cabin and shop. I guess that makes me a very lucky man to have had the opportunity to do that everyyear. But here's my dream hunt.

This year is my dream hunt as was on opening day last year and every opening day on years prior. Elk hunting for me is such a deep passion no other game animal has more effect on my life than elk. I have elk pictures, elk sculptures and various other things elk related. I personally think elk is one of the most adaptable creatures in the world. They are like a herd of wild mustangs with much more of an instinct to survive. I've hunted elk in an OTC unit in Colorado everytime. No special draw units. I don't want to cheat all my hard work and go somewhere there's elk managed for size. I've been at this game long enough and I'm not giving up now. My biggest to date is a really pretty 323" 6x6. But I have other hunts that stack up against that just as much in memory. Not trying to make it sound like a brag board, but what is my dream hunt. Well.........

Opening day of bowseason 2010 my dream hunt starts all over again. The might majestic elk vs what I've learned year after year. And sometimes they win. That's what makes them my #1 animal.

Wapiti Rules.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I got to live my dream elk hunt in Nevada unit 111-222 in 2006. Archery. Got in my best shape and stalk a 400" 6x6 and 390ish 8x8 both in bow range. Many stalks, many bulls, no other hunters. Ended up settling for my best bull 350 6/8th P&Y on the 9th day. What a hunt, in the unit Randy Ulmer took his best. I have no aspirations of going anywhere better because it don't get any better.

Even helped a few locals out on my way out of the unit. Amazing they were not maximizing their hunts. I have no regrets.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Was that a typical 8x8? or a main frame 6x6 with some stickers, etc...?

Randy's article with his NV elk is what got me applying out west, and curious about NV, etc...my first year of applying ever, was for NV elk and MT sheep.

I've heard the quality in NV has slipped some, but who knows, also who knows how good it'll be when I finally draw a tag.

How were the residents not maximizing their hunt? not working hard enough you mean?

Originally Posted by Zim
I got to live my dream elk hunt in Nevada unit 111-222 in 2006. Archery. Got in my best shape and stalk a 400" 6x6 and 390ish 8x8 both in bow range. Many stalks, many bulls, no other hunters. Ended up settling for my best bull 350 6/8th P&Y on the 9th day. What a hunt, in the unit Randy Ulmer took his best. I have no aspirations of going anywhere better because it don't get any better.

Even helped a few locals out on my way out of the unit. Amazing they were not maximizing their hunts. I have no regrets.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Spike

I am going in September to one of the best elk ranches in easterm MT. I am so excited, I can hardly stand it!! Only 60 days until I leave! I have killed a raghorn with my rifle, but never hunted one with a bow. I plan on holding out for an "elk of a lifetime".
Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dream elk hunt would be my father & I killing a couple of cow elk just out of elk camp, under perfect weather conditions.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it has to be the next one. Then the one after that!

I've got 2 lined up this year. A General tag in Wyoming with friends then a Solo DIY limited draw tag in New Mexico (about 10% draw odds on that unit). I'm pretty exicted about both of them!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Was that a typical 8x8? or a main frame 6x6 with some stickers, etc...?

Randy's article with his NV elk is what got me applying out west, and curious about NV, etc...my first year of applying ever, was for NV elk and MT sheep.

I've heard the quality in NV has slipped some, but who knows, also who knows how good it'll be when I finally draw a tag.

How were the residents not maximizing their hunt? not working hard enough you mean?
The 8x8 had unique triple split main beams, like 3 6th tines. Similar to the south american deer/elk. I had him stopped at 30 yards but quartering too severely.

I know the exact canyon Randy shot his bull because my friend has a buddy who saw him packing it out.

I met one NR who shot a raghorn on the first day! Good lord what a mistake. However, most were residents who did not know how to bowhunt, call. One guy's wife drew, I ended up leaving them my bugle and cow call with instructions where to go. Most were out of shape.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

My original dream hunt happened in 08 in Oregon. I could have cared less if it had been a jack rabbit shoot. My oldest brother lives in central oregon. I was raised for the most part in nevada and we had never had tags together or even hunted together. That year at 27 years old I finally got to hunt with my brother as we both drew 2nd season Ochaco bull tags. We both killed bulls -niether of them big. But I got to hunt with my brother.
I'll let you know about my next elk hunt of a lifetime when I draw my bull tag here in nevada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.