HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Archery antelope tips and tricks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/324941-archery-antelope-tips-tricks.html)

Archeryresearchshooter 06-24-2010 06:48 PM

Archery antelope tips and tricks

Hey guys and gals, lets here some things that have worked for you. Im new to the game of Pronghorn hunting(last year was my maiden voyage). I was unsuccessful but had lots of fun and action. Its in my blood!

Howler 06-25-2010 06:07 PM

If playing the spot and stalk game, I always look for loner animals. One on one almost gives a guy a chance to be successful.
If placing a blind at a known fence crossing, set the blind up several weeks in advance, otherwise they seem to avoid them like the plague. Water holes, in a dry year with very little water available, seem to be different. They have to have water, and they will approach because they simply have to, even if the blind has only been up for a short period of time.
Decoying will work, IF they are into the rut. Otherwise, the decoy is a waste of time.
Be preppared for long shots. My last two archery spot and stalk kills were 61 yards and 49 yards.

Blackelk 06-25-2010 06:31 PM

Good points Howler,

Traveling routes and water holes are for sure better odds than most. Spot and stalk is how I've always hunted them. I have only taken two bucks with a bow so far. I've hunted them five times during archery seasons.

I'd say just learn to shoot your matthew's 500yds and your in the money. LOL

salukipv1 06-25-2010 10:52 PM

I just read an article on archery antelope, the guy basically was saying wait until the bucks are in the rut chasing does to decoy/stalk them.

Howler 06-26-2010 05:48 AM

Before the rut, which the CO. archery season is, a lot of bucks are loners and it's possible to stalk them, especially if the terrain allows it. Some places are so flat and wide open that spot and stalk is NOT an option with a bow, unless you have a 500 yard long bow.

moosemike 06-26-2010 06:16 AM

All you need is a waterhole and a blind.

Archeryresearchshooter 06-26-2010 06:38 AM

Good tips guys! Keep them coming!

Howler 06-27-2010 06:27 AM

Water holes are good IF, and that's a big IF, there are very limited water sources. For instance, the main ranch I hunt here in CO. has 26,000 acres and a lot of antelope. Problem with water hole sitting in these parts is that there's another water hole just a half mile away in about all directions because the ranch uses solar and windmills to fill water tanks. Put a blind up at any one water source and the antelope will simply go to the next one to avoid approaching the "funny look thing"/blind at your chosing water hole. ALong with that, seems like every year the rains begin to come about every afternoon and there are little water holes in every depression that will hold water.
So if you're planning on sitting on a water hole, ya have to know that there aren't many other water holes for'em to use.
Just like fence crossings. Put a blind up at a well used fence crossing, and if there's another crossing for them to use not far away, they'll avoid the crossing with
the funny looking thing"/blind and use the other crossing. Heck, I've even seen'em basically force their way through, even jump a fence just to avoid getting close to a blind that's at thier normal crossing route.