Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT SHEEP unit #301

Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 AM
Spike

Smile MT SHEEP unit #301

Just saw where I drew a BH Sheep tag in Montana Unit 301. Anyone have any helpful info about hunting Sheep in this unit?

Appreciate any and all info on the Sheep in this unit.

Last edited by IDTRAVLER; 06-22-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

301- use to be an unlimited unit until 2001 when it was closed to hunting.
170" type rams
5 tags/season issued for the last 2 years.

Good luck!

PM me if you'd like.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default sheep hunt

Hey Bud:
I took a ram there when it was an unlimited area years ago. At least I think it was 301. I do not have any maps any more and can't remember if it was 300 or 301. I will tell you it was in the Spanish peaks that I killed it. Took him on Wilson Peak opening morning. My advice is to call the biologists and ask them all the questions you can think of. They will help you all they can. The year I took mine there were 149 tags issued and only 2 rams taken the whole year. It did not even close with the 4 ram quota. The season ended before the quota was met. I saw plenty of sheep but only the one legal ram. I do know there were years after that they took like 14 rams the first 3 days of the season. Not sure how much the herd structure has changed since then but when I was there a legal ram was almost a miracle. If you can pre-scout, do all of it you can. I spent 5 - three day weekends scouting the area. The hardest place you can get to is where they will be. Cliffs, scree slides, high saddles for escape and timber for cover. Put all those together within 2 miles of a good water source and you will find them. Most of the time in the high timber. Fringe areas that include all of the above will do the best for you. Good luck bud.
Ward
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

My advice would be, if you're not familiar with that area and not familiar with sheep hunting, shell out the cash and get a guide. That'll increase your chances of taking one with that tag. I don't know how Montana is but Utah is once in a lifetime.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Spike

Congrats on the tag. Of course as usuall I did not draw mine this year. If ya want some advice on looking where to hunt, then I would visit this website I found where they sell maps of all the western states. Montanas is awesome considering it shows all the private land owners names as well as all state, blm, WMU boundaries, etc. etc. These topo maps are very accurate and are downloadable to a GPS so ya got all the info needed at all times. I never go out without it and having a GPS, helps more than one could think expecially with the topo lines that will tell you how deep and tall ridges are, etc. check it out, www. huntinggpsmaps.com I'm sure the maps would be very helpful.

HuntinGuy