Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose draw for Maine & NH

Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Spike

Nice going Dave and welcome!

Good looking District! Cow or Either?

Lots of good moose hunting stories and pictures here. Jump in if you feel like it. I for one would like to hear about the pistol hunt.

- Jay
Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Spike

Default pistol hunt

Thanks Hurricane 1.
Yea it's either sex
My first hunt was in a zone I was not familar with,so I spent the summer scouting even rented a plane to fly over the area.Most, about 90% of zone was in white Mountain National Forest.Not many roads and all are gated and no offence to them but from what I found out they aren't very helpfull.So I stayed in a private section of land and found several moose.one was a nice bull.Didn't find a moose the first day but called in a young bull the second day wasn't going to shoot him because it wasent the big one,after a while I thaught I might not get another chance and end the week empty handed so I said if he gives me a broadside shot I'll shoot it,he did.He was about 35 yards and only went 30yards after the shot and fell over. He weighed 420 dressed.draged him out with a 4 wheeler.My wife was with me scouting and on the hunt, it was great.My pistol was built by John Linebaugh,I used a 390gr cast lead bullit at about 1200fps.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck to you and your son hurricane!Also to you dave475!!Please come back and share!

I Put in for my 2nd priority point in NH..Maybe in 10 years I can draw a tag..Good luck!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by davev475
Thanks Hurricane 1.
Yea it's either sex
My first hunt was in a zone I was not familar with,so I spent the summer scouting even rented a plane to fly over the area.Most, about 90% of zone was in white Mountain National Forest.Not many roads and all are gated and no offence to them but from what I found out they aren't very helpfull.So I stayed in a private section of land and found several moose.one was a nice bull.Didn't find a moose the first day but called in a young bull the second day wasn't going to shoot him because it wasent the big one,after a while I thaught I might not get another chance and end the week empty handed so I said if he gives me a broadside shot I'll shoot it,he did.He was about 35 yards and only went 30yards after the shot and fell over. He weighed 420 dressed.draged him out with a 4 wheeler.My wife was with me scouting and on the hunt, it was great.My pistol was built by John Linebaugh,I used a 390gr cast lead bullit at about 1200fps.

Dave,

Bet that was one good eating moose! Your Linebaugh sounds like it's got some pop to it. Any idea what the foot lbs. of energy is with that load?

Smart move staying with the public land. That WMNF presents some challenges getting your critter out. Helped a friend last year with his 660lb cow in the C-1 District, had an eight hour drag. Thank the Lord it was a cool day.

Let us know how the scouting goes this year.

- Jay
Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Spike

Jay,
It was a good eating moose,but I want to hold out for a BIG one this time.I don't like what I'm reading about how bad a rutting bull taste though.Will have to get some more info on that.
Not sure about energy numbers but large bore handguns with heavy hard cast bullets just plaine penertrate it makes two holes.
You can't use a 4wheeler in that zone so I'm going to get a portable capstan rope winch with 300ft of rope.I'm not a road hunter but I'm going to try and not venture to far from a road.I'll be able to do some scouting during bird season,I plan on bringing my camper up there and leaving it there for a month so I don't have to haul it up there 4hrs every weekend.
Dave
Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Spike

Well, we did our first scouting trip in District 23 this past week for 2 1/2 days. No sightings and sign was pretty sparse but we were mostly cruising roads looking for likely moose areas.

The sign that was very plentiful was rectangular, white or yellow, and nailed to trees every 50'

Back at it again next week!

- Jay

ps. Thanks again Phil for the suggestions!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Jay,

I was afraid that you may end up seeing alot of those signs nailed to the trees from what I have heard of that area. I am not all that familuar with that zone. I am hoping to be bumping into Dan next weekend. I will ask him what he knows about that zone. He is out of Monroe so maybe able to give something that might be usefull to you. I will keep trying to see what I can come up with for you anyhow.

Phil

I am not sure if I will or not, but, I may try a day or 2 of archery hunting down that way. There is a lot of anydeer permits issued out down in your zone. Plus fall turkey hunting is allowed by archery aswell. So it is something I will have to give some thought about..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-24-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Spike

Phil,

We ran across a staggering number of turkeys in District 23 when we were scouting. Seems like it would definitely be worth a look.

Monroe where Dan lives looked likely for some moose habitat. I'd be curious to hear his take on that.

Thanks, Jay
Old 10-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I took a trip down in your hunting zone and got a turkey with my bow opening day yesterday.. I did see alot of signs on trees. I also talked with a young local fellow. He pointed out a couple of roads he thought would be ok. I will update sometime Tuesday or Wens.. as I am heading out for a few days this afternoon.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Spike

Default Maine District 3 moose

My son and I took a quick spin through District 3 to get a peek at some moosey territory earlier this week. His season begins Oct. 11th.

The September week hunt started on Monday so we saw a fair number of folks out hunting as well as a good amount of trucks and trailers hauling their moose out.

Heading back this week to scout in ernest for five days.

If you've got to spend a bunch of time in the truck, at least there's the occasional interesting road sign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.