Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Buckshot for maine black bear? >

Buckshot for maine black bear?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Buckshot for maine black bear?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

slugs will get the job done if the hunter does his part ..nothing fancy shooting a bear stay away from buckshot ..bears will drop on the spot SHOULDER shot ,unless you enjoy going after a wounded bear in thick brush because that is were he will go ..
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do not hunt bear but I still have to agree with most on here. I wouldn't even concider using any form of buckshot on a black bear. Bear are pretty tough animals and can be very mean when wounded. I once knew a guy that shot a bear once with a 30-30 and it took all seven shots to bring it down. Then when it fell it was only a few feet from him.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

hey bro i hunt bear with dogs got dogs also use slugs either your gunna get infront of them and your gunna get a running shot or the dogs are putting it up a tree and you wack them out go with slugs ive seen bears 40yrds up huge pines and with buckshot shooting threw tree branches your gunna loose alot of pellets than if you just pick a hole and put a slug into it no need to shell out for a rifle a shotgun goes great id just rock that
Old 06-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

No. Dont use it. Buckshot doesnt hit with enough energy and the round balls dont cause enough internal damage. The bear will probably die but it may take awhile and buckshot doesnt give you a very good blood trail. I shot a buck with it back in the day and if it wasnt for the pellet that hit the spine I would have lost that deer. That was my first and only buck that I had to shoot twice. Looking at that deer you would have never known that it was shot. You couldnt see any indication of a hit on it until the skin was off and the damage you could see was minimal. That was 3" mag 000 Federal Premium Buckshot that I used.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Spike

This is what to do ........ This is what i do !!! Use slugs first then 2nd shot use buckshot 3" or 3 1/2" 00 ... Why ill tell you why ..the 2nd shot bear will be running because you missed and scared him ... Now that you have a running bear buckshot is easier ... It patterns .... Make sure with buckshot to use 3" or 3 1/2 " it has more knockdown power .... Max effective killing range is 50 yards with 3 " a little more with 3 1/2 " now get offline and sharpen your knife your going to need it ... Cheers & as always happy hunting ...
Old 08-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Spike

They do not suck on deer !!! Im a 4 th generation hunter !!!! Buckshot has killed millions of deer !!! It was around way before , your dumb father taught you about hunting !!!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

They do not suck on deer !!! Im a 4 th generation hunter !!!! Buckshot has killed millions of deer !!! It was around way before , your dumb father taught you about hunting !!!
Replying to a topic last posted on 06-26-2010, 05:45 PM probably wont be seen by the person you are replying to.
Last Activity: 01-24-2017 10:39 PM

The OP has not even been around since 06-25-2010 09:17 AM

Insulting someones father is probably not a good way to start off your 2nd post. Calling him dumb and you dont even realize the age of this topic. Pot meet the kettle

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-20-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HIIMJOHN
This is what to do ........ This is what i do !!! Use slugs first then 2nd shot use buckshot 3" or 3 1/2" 00 ... Why ill tell you why ..the 2nd shot bear will be running because you missed and scared him ... Now that you have a running bear buckshot is easier ... It patterns .... Make sure with buckshot to use 3" or 3 1/2 " it has more knockdown power .... Max effective killing range is 50 yards with 3 " a little more with 3 1/2 " now get offline and sharpen your knife your going to need it ... Cheers & as always happy hunting ...
well I will have to say, if you THINK hunting with buckshot is a GOOD idea, all the mro so on bears, IMO your a poor hunter who has little regards to wounding animals

buck shot was used yrs back due to it was cheap and most folkks had shotguns
but they are NOT very good tools for hunting, there are many much better designed and proven ways to kill LARGE animals
the FACT your willing to STATE "you missed on the first shot and will NOW need to shoot at a RUNNING animal, and need buck shot for second shot"
Proves to me, your NOT that great a hunter to be passing on this type of advice

Buck shot CAN kill for sure, but with ALL the modern toolwe hunters have, its a POOR choice to be using for hunting bears, or DEER
4thj gen hunter ot not
try entering the modern era of hunting
where quick clean kills are easier to be used, with a modern slug, or rifle bullet!
leaves buck shot for home defense or many a OH Crap, bear hunt while hiking /camping in bear country or??

the ANTI hunters have enough reasons to attach us hunters as is, no reason to give them more incentive, when your winging buck shot at big game?
sorry if this offends you, but its MY honest feelings here
been highly involved in hunting and shooting a LONG time, in many levels, there ARE better tools available to ALL of us these days for big game hunting than buckshot period!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

having tried buckshot on deer, Im a firm believer in using nothing but SLUGS, on deer or elk or bear,
ideally in an accurate shotgun DESIGNED for slug use,
an accurate slug gun with a rifled barrel can more than triple a shotguns effective reach over the best buckshot loading's.
THIS SAVAGE 12 GA bolt action, IS AN EXCELLENT and reliable and accurate SHOT GUN
these bolt action shotguns have rifled bore designed to stabilize slugs

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/...s/212-slug-gun
yes they also make it in 20 ga for the guys that are very recoil sensitive

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...g-bullet-mold-20-gauge-576-diameter-350-grain

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...g-bullet-mold-12-gauge-681-diameter-525-grain

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-21-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HIIMJOHN
Blah, blah, blah. I suggest actually reading the thread. It isn't about deer hunting. Just saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.