Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
MT Wolf Hunting Comments... >

MT Wolf Hunting Comments...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT Wolf Hunting Comments...

Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default MT Wolf Hunting Comments...

I strongly encourage everyone to suggest making non-resident wolf tag fees the same as residents.

This way many more non-res deer/elk hunters would purchase a tag, but at $300 or whatever, very few are going to pay that fee unless they specifically plan to hunt wolf.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DH7J5GB

At what price would you a non-resident elk/deer hunter be willing to buy a tag at just a chance of seeing/taking a wolf?

Personally I couldn't see paying much more than $30-50 to just have a tag in my pocket in case I get a shot at a wolf while deer/elk hunting. Btw last fall ID wolf tags were $180 and MT's were $300, that's a ball park price, and btw ID sold way more non-res wolf tags than MT did, and of course overwhelmingly way more resident tags were sold compared to non-residents in both states!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

No one knows what their price cutoff would be?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A wolf tag is essentially a lottery ticket. I'd pay the resident price for sure, did not even consider a NR tag last year. Saw plenty of tracks but four days backpack hunting and did not see a live wolf.

If they want non-residents to help thin the wolves I will gladly participate, but the have to bring the tag price down.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by spaniel
A wolf tag is essentially a lottery ticket. I'd pay the resident price for sure, did not even consider a NR tag last year. Saw plenty of tracks but four days backpack hunting and did not see a live wolf.

If they want non-residents to help thin the wolves I will gladly participate, but the have to bring the tag price down.
Totally agree, imagine if every hunter in the field had a wolf tag on them, some would get lucky. I guess most of the quotas were close to being met. Though the increased revenue alone makes sense to lowering wolf tags to reasonable prices. I think just about every hunter hunting elk/deer or whatever in wolf habitat would spend $30, but at $180 or $300+, very few are gonna shell out that cash for just a chance.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

I didnt get a wolf tag last year because I couldnt see paying 300+ bucks for one. I only seen 1 wolf in 10 years of hunting that area. Low and behold, what walked out about 300 yards in front of me but a wolf last year, go figure.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

Last year,I beleive the qouta was 70, correct me if I am wrong but what would happen if you would bag a wolf and go to the check station and the qouta has already been filled?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pats102862
Last year,I beleive the qouta was 70, correct me if I am wrong but what would happen if you would bag a wolf and go to the check station and the qouta has already been filled?
I believe they make it public when the season has closed due to quota being filled. No idea what would happen if you were camp hunting out of touch and it closed the first day you were out, but you walk in with one 4 days later.

Last year I believe they pretty much filled the quotas without the help of NRs. However, I think they will find that the quotas were too low and it would be beneficial to have as many in the field as possible on the lookout in the future.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pats102862
I didnt get a wolf tag last year because I couldnt see paying 300+ bucks for one. I only seen 1 wolf in 10 years of hunting that area. Low and behold, what walked out about 300 yards in front of me but a wolf last year, go figure.
haha, exactly! If the tag was $30 you would've had a wolf tag in your pocket!

I wonder how many non-residents hunt ID and MT elk/deer every year? I would assume thousands...
Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

As far as quotas go...what I'm reading is...

ID had a quota of 220, and 188 were taken.It seems in many areas the quota was met and the area was then closed, some areas like LOLO had 14 remaining out of 27 quota. A few others had like 3 or less remaining...

MT had 4 units with quotas of, 41, 2, 22, 12...

It seems they shut down the areas early perhaps to not go over the quotas...I think if you started the day and there were tags left and say 4 wolves were shot that day and went like 1 over the quota nothing would happen except the unit would be closed down.

I read in MT you'd have 12hrs to report your wolf kill, so as long as the unit was open when you went out hunting, it would be a legal kill as long as you report it within 12hrs, and then the unit would be closed the next day.

Last edited by salukipv1; 05-31-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
haha, exactly! If the tag was $30 you would've had a wolf tag in your pocket!

I wonder how many non-residents hunt ID and MT elk/deer every year? I would assume thousands...
even $ 30 is way too much for a wolf tag ..somebody is greedy here ...up in canada we apply the the 3 S method ..shoot shovel and shut up ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.