HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Montana antelope conflicts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/321965-montana-antelope-conflicts.html)

wapitiwallowcrkoutfitters 04-21-2010 01:37 PM

Montana antelope conflicts

Hey does anyone if they have arlready started looking at the montana state regulations yet how does it all work? Im not sure but i dont ever remember having to apply for antelope doe tags or B licences; they used to be over the counter first come first serve right? What i want to know is how is it that we are supposed to apply and get multiple doe tags if there based on a drawing system? if you end up drawing one of them the rest of the drawings get tossed out due to geting one of your choices. I dont know about you guys and gals out there but when it comes to antelope i dont want to have to drive to two parts of the state to fill my antelope tags.

Wolf killer 04-22-2010 06:56 AM

Montana changed the way they sell surplus antelope licenses about 6 or 7-years ago. The way it is set up now I like it better. They draw a set number of licenses lets just use unit-560 as an example. They draw 800-antelope either sex tags in the general drawing. After the animal survey in the field is done and if they want to raise the total quota of tags issued to 1200? They allow current tag holders to purchase extra doe fawn tags for that unit. This keeps the hunter numbers down to 800 but the tag numbers up to 1200. I believe this is the best way to handle the surplus tags, it improves the overall quality of the hunt by limiting the number of hunters.

rather_be_huntin 04-22-2010 07:13 AM

I'm not a Montana resident and I've never hunted Montana. In recent years I have begun to get very interested though in trying to hunt there.

The problem is you have to get a 4 year degree to understand the regs. I'm only 2 years into the program, 2 more to go and maybe I'll be able to understand how I can go about hunting the state.

salukipv1 04-22-2010 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin (Post 3616380)
I'm not a Montana resident and I've never hunted Montana. In recent years I have begun to get very interested though in trying to hunt there.

The problem is you have to get a 4 year degree to understand the regs. I'm only 2 years into the program, 2 more to go and maybe I'll be able to understand how I can go about hunting the state.

haha, it is pretty crazy, and good news, new regs for next year is what I've been reading! hopefully they'll get simplified...

I remember the 1st season I hunted in MT the season opened on a sunday!

salukipv1 04-22-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by wapitiwallowcrkoutfitters (Post 3616022)
Hey does anyone if they have arlready started looking at the montana state regulations yet how does it all work? Im not sure but i dont ever remember having to apply for antelope doe tags or B licences; they used to be over the counter first come first serve right? What i want to know is how is it that we are supposed to apply and get multiple doe tags if there based on a drawing system? if you end up drawing one of them the rest of the drawings get tossed out due to geting one of your choices. I dont know about you guys and gals out there but when it comes to antelope i dont want to have to drive to two parts of the state to fill my antelope tags.

the type B tags as I read it are the options for a 2nd tag, which I believe is always a doe/cow. I'm really not sure if they have a 2nd drawing for leftover tags etc..., in some parts I think a guy should be able to get about 4 extra doe tags...would be nice to bring those buck/doe ratios more in check.

Montana Mike 04-22-2010 02:21 PM

You have always had to apply for the first round doe/fawn tags, then over the counter.

RaghornHS 04-29-2010 04:05 PM

I'd be happy to answer any questions on the Montana regs!