Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
what is the biggest game u shot >

what is the biggest game u shot

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what is the biggest game u shot

Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

a wounded camel in iraq
Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by James B
Black Bear
I hope there is not a state that would allow bear hunting with a .223.

My friend killed a black bear when he was 14 with a 38 revolver. But it was kill it or die.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 06-20-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Elk! And lots of em!
Elk and lot's of them??? With a .223??? HMMMMM???????????

I don't buy it,

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 06-20-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Spike

lots of black bears... bunch of mulies... 1 moose
Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
...with shot placement being everything, elk...bear..moose...
hmmmm......shot placement must not quite be everything because I don't care how good of a shot you are you will never kill an elk, bear or moose with a BB gun. I think that's obvious to everyone but why does a BB not work and a 30 cal bullet do wonders? The difference between the two is size, weight, construction, and speed. Therefore we must conclude that size, weight, construction, and speed are also factors so placement, while certainly a very improtant part of the equation, can't be everything. Once you accept that and understand an animals anatomy then you can begin to really discuss what certain cartridges are really good at taking and not so good for.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I hope there is not a state that would allow bear hunting with a .223.

My friend killed a black bear when he was 14 with a 38 revolver. But it was kill it or die.

PA allows bear hunting with a .223, or a .17 Fireball for that matter. It's called having freedom to choose instead of your state game agency nannying you.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not an advocate for the over powered gun mentality that the world has gone to when it comes to size of animal vs. size of caliber being used. But anything bigger than a coyote a .223 has a lot more chance of losing game. Sure you can shoot them in the head but that's not always a perfect situation for success either. I took my 22-250 hunting deer in Oklahoma because it was legal. Used regular lead nosed bullets designed for hunting and even bumped up the grs. of the bullet to 60grs. Every deer I shot took more than 3 hits to put them down permanently being shot in the heart and lungs. No wounding hits no shots went out side the boiler room. Not saying the first shots didn't kill them but it took alot longer than I thought it would. And put that scenerio in deep thick woods some states have good luck on tracking an animal because the blood trail was almost non existant. So not trying to stomp on anyones shooting prowess but common sense replaces wounded game.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I'm not an advocate for the over powered gun mentality that the world has gone to when it comes to size of animal vs. size of caliber being used. But anything bigger than a coyote a .223 has a lot more chance of losing game. Sure you can shoot them in the head but that's not always a perfect situation for success either. I took my 22-250 hunting deer in Oklahoma because it was legal. Used regular lead nosed bullets designed for hunting and even bumped up the grs. of the bullet to 60grs. Every deer I shot took more than 3 hits to put them down permanently being shot in the heart and lungs. No wounding hits no shots went out side the boiler room. Not saying the first shots didn't kill them but it took alot longer than I thought it would. And put that scenerio in deep thick woods some states have good luck on tracking an animal because the blood trail was almost non existant. So not trying to stomp on anyones shooting prowess but common sense replaces wounded game.
Blackelk I couldn't agree more with your post end to end. People accuse some of us of arguing you need a cannon to take game. That's a stereotype put there to discredit our argument, nothing more because I have never seen ANYONE say in these types of discussions that a magnum is needed to kill an elk (or what ever species you'd like to reference). There are some very old traditional cartridges that are more than adequate for use on today's largest and toughest game. These discussions only happen when start talking about these little cartridges.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Raccoons so far. Hoping to connect on some coyotes and maybe some piggies with it before too long though.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Spike

Taken down plenty of billies over this end of the world!