Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolves and elk

Old 03-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Well I know first hand the devistation to wildlife these preditors have. I have to scale it back but around here the coyotes have all but eliminated the pheasants and rabbits and they are no help to the deer population either. I love running my beagles and I can't believe the lack of rabbits. I haven't shot a pheasant in 13 years and haven't hunted them in 10 years. New york denies bringing them in but it's funny how they just showed up out of nowhere one day.

As for the wolves out west, I am building pref. points for a rut hunt for elk and hope colorado can keep them out before I go. I feel sorry for the outfitters and everyone else who has to deal with the bad effects of having wolves. I know as a non resident, that state would get my money one time if all I saw was wolf prints and no elk.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Last time I checked British Columbia was connected to Idaho and Montana but some how seems to have plenty of elk and wolves. Go figure. Month long unlimited rifle elk seasons ta boot. The wolves were walkin back and forth over the border for years before the Yellowstone introductions took place. They need to be hunted like any other preditor but all the drama queens cryin wolf are gettin tiring. Man up and go huntin. Learn to put up with a bit of competition. I have competed with wolves all my life and still do ok. Outfitters often use wolves as a lame excuse for not producing. SSS is usually about the money.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tangozulu
Man up and go huntin. Learn to put up with a bit of competition. I have competed with wolves all my life and still do ok. Outfitters often use wolves as a lame excuse for not producing. SSS is usually about the money.
If we could we would But it is not as easy as you think it is, we cant just grab our gun and shoot a wolf ( LEGALLY). It is either Illegal to hunt them, or you have to a apply for a tag or you have to pay big bucks. You have no idea what your talking about! Outfitters have never complained about wolves until they became a problem.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Spike

Smile

Last time I checked British Columbia was connected to Idaho and Montana but some how seems to have plenty of elk and wolves. Go figure. Month long unlimited rifle elk seasons ta boot. The wolves were walkin back and forth over the border for years before the Yellowstone introductions took place. They need to be hunted like any other preditor but all the drama queens cryin wolf are gettin tiring. Man up and go huntin. Learn to put up with a bit of competition. I have competed with wolves all my life and still do ok. Outfitters often use wolves as a lame excuse for not producing. SSS is usually about the money.
Wolves are around our area, love hearing them in the A.M. I've whacked a couple. Had some go by 3 yards from me & my dog.
See them fairly regularly. They can take as many of the wild horses as they want.
We have more trouble with logging & oilpatch than we do with the wolves. And the Natives.
Makes the critters more spooky, means you have to be a better hunter. Really torques the roadhunters.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
If we could we would But it is not as easy as you think it is, we cant just grab our gun and shoot a wolf ( LEGALLY). It is either Illegal to hunt them, or you have to a apply for a tag or you have to pay big bucks. You have no idea what your talking about! Outfitters have never complained about wolves until they became a problem.

First off thanks for not callin me a wolf lover right off the bat. It seems to me that you can hunt wolves now in Montana and Idaho. Hopefully any unballance between elk and wolves will be corrected in short order. If they become an issue in other states I am sure the hunt opportunites will come soon enough. I have killed about a dozen wolves myself over the years and enjoy hunting them as much as any other animal. That said I enjoy being in the mountains and knowing I am sharing it with both elk and wolves. I have even managed to whach a few mature bull elk at the same time. The SSS choir will only make the situation much harder to control leagaly.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

First off thanks for not callin me a wolf lover right off the bat. It seems to me that you can hunt wolves now in Montana and Idaho. Hopefully any unballance between elk and wolves will be corrected in short order. If they become an issue in other states I am sure the hunt opportunites will come soon enough. I have killed about a dozen wolves myself over the years and enjoy hunting them as much as any other animal. That said I enjoy being in the mountains and knowing I am sharing it with both elk and wolves. I have even managed to whach a few mature bull elk at the same time. The SSS choir will only make the situation much harder to control leagaly.
Not the last time I looked,
They are all "endangered"
And if you shoot them......well lets just say you cant.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

209jones U mentioned the natives ...what do they have to do with this thread???
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
They've been delisted and were legally hunted in Idaho over the the winter. The anti's are having near convulsions over it and targeting this guy....Robert Millage(who posts on these boards).....the first hunter to report legally taking a wolf in the lower 48 in a long long time just last year.

Here is a link to an article about the hunt. This guy has taken quite a beating from the wolf lovers.

http://idptv.state.id.us/outdoors/sh...ho/millage.cfm

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 04-01-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

The anti's need to sit down have a coke and relax..whether it be anti hunters or just anti wolf hunting ...this HUNTER did it legally and I am happy for him and his harvest....I do have a problem with the supposed hunters that kill these animals illegaly..the SSS supporters...they are not hunters but POACHERS!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
You need to look again. Both Idaho and Montana has seasons last year. My local contact in Montana knew a guy lucky enough to shoot one that was scavenging the 6X6 he'd shot the night before.

The only beef I had was that they priced the wolf tags ridiculously high for non-residents. I would have happily helped the locals out, had they priced the tags in a way that allowed me to do so. I understand the high non-resident tags for elk and willfully fork over my cash for that chance, but I'm not paying $200 for a wolf tag which is essentially a lottery ticket.

I don't get bent over wolves. As long as they are hunted to a proper level they are no issue. Hunters who want the land/game managed SOLELY for their interests DO get me bent. That type of behavior has cost my family dearly in the form of crop damage due to massive midwest deer over-population.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.