Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Needing info for Thunder Basin Nat. Grassland, Wy >

Needing info for Thunder Basin Nat. Grassland, Wy

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Needing info for Thunder Basin Nat. Grassland, Wy

Old 03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default Needing info for Thunder Basin Nat. Grassland, Wy

I have applied for antelope tags in the Thunder Basin area and was looking for someone that can provide some in site about the area. I realize a person can camp anywhere on the Government ground.
I hunted the Ogallala National Grasslands many times with bow and arrow and we camped out on the grasslands, in an area set aside to camp and on a private ranch.

I was wondering if there are areas better to set up camp? Some places out of the wind, maybe some trees or available drinking water or a place they prefer people to camp. I know of the camping in the surrounding cities like Newcastle and the motels, but they are all 30 miles or more. Anymore information would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
car
Typical Buck

No trees just prairie. As you said you can camp just about where ever you want to.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Spike

What areas did you apply for? I have hunted the grasslands a lot and live near them in Pine Haven. We just launched a web site at empireguesthouse.com and you can see what we offer hunters. Even if you don't stay here I can give you some info. on the area. You can e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 307-756-3454. Mike Smith
Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by msmith1956
What areas did you apply for? I have hunted the grasslands a lot and live near them in Pine Haven. We just launched a web site at empireguesthouse.com and you can see what we offer hunters. Even if you don't stay here I can give you some info. on the area. You can e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 307-756-3454. Mike Smith
Hi msmith1956.

Looked for your web site and didn't have any luck finding it.

I see you live by Pine Haven. We just bought some land just south of Sundance. Our plan is to move their in the next 3 years. I love the area. It is a great place to live. I saw where you had some snow at the first part of the week. We will have to meet each other when we are out their.
car
Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 AM
Spike

We just launched the web site and it isn't up on all the different seach sites yet. I know it shows up on yahoo and google if you want to try it again. Mike Smith
Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Spike

I know the area in Nebraska had better areas to camp in rather out in the open. Some of the people coming back every year seem to find goodr spots to camp in over time.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on which area you put in for/draw for. If it is in area 27 (which is very hard to draw) you will be in the Rochelle hills with some pretty nice areas to camp in trees and some pretty big hills. If it is in 7 or 24 you also have some areas in the Rochelle hills but less public land. Area 23 is all sage brush/native grasses and small rolling hills. I live right in the middle of all these areas and would be happy to help with anything. Did you get the map from the USGS website, if not I would reccomend starting there. I also hunted the Oglalla grasslands in Nebraska and you can pretty much expect the same kind of areas with slightly more sagebrush and bigger hills depending on the area.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Spike

I got a USFS Map to start and if I get a tag I will get a couple others. The wildlife biologist with the USFS said the best areas to hunt in the area were 27, 7 and 29 and have some Forest Service land and BLM. Here is a link to good information on public land in Wyoming put together by the University of Wyoming:
http://sunlight.wygisc.uwyo.edu/huntareaV1/#app=8a30&34a0-selectedIndex=1

I really appreciate the information on camping. I will get back with you once I know more in June.