HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   backpacking (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/317911-backpacking.html)

slayer_54 02-21-2010 05:59 PM

backpacking

goin on a elk trip this comin fall and dont know a thing about backpacking. any pointers on backpacks, tents or the expierence? any kind of advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Big Uncle 02-22-2010 08:00 AM

The length of your trip, number of people, and the purpose of the pack will make a big difference in what gear is practical. I like a big external frame pack (5,000 or larger) for hauling heavy loads (like a spike camp or elk quarters) but I would not use that pack for actual hunting. I always have a day pack (app. 2,000) to use for hunting if I am staying in a fixed spike camp. If you are going to continue moving and not hunt from a fixed spike camp, the internal frame models are far more practical.
Tents are a really tough thing to figure out. It depends on the number of people, length of stay, weight, weather, etc. Never buy a cheap tent. Some backpacking shops rent tents.
Other than the tent, the heaviest pices of camping equipment that you will probably carry will be your sleeping bag. Go lightweight, but try to use one that is rated for lower temps than you expect.
What kind of trip are you making?

Wolf killer 02-22-2010 08:27 AM

You might try www.eastmans.com
David Long and Cameron Hanes both have books & videos on back country bow hunting.

Back pack hunting is very hard core and not for the faint of heart. I recommend using an outfitter to pack out your game, you will need to set this up before you make this trip.

Good Luck Hunting!

Hurricanespg 02-22-2010 11:20 AM

Is this something that you are going to want to do quite a bit or more like a one time thing? The only reason I ask is because it can get very expensive very quick.
If you can give me a bit more info on how you will be hunting, how long you will be out, and if you will be packing for yourself or others I would be more than happy to give you some tips and make some recommendations.

JNTURK 02-22-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf killer (Post 3581704)
You might try www.eastmans.com
David Long and Cameron Hanes both have books & videos on back country bow hunting.

Back pack hunting is very hard core and not for the faint of heart. I recommend using an outfitter to pack out your game, you will need to set this up before you make this trip.

Good Luck Hunting!

+1, +2, +3!!!

Get there books and read them. All the info you need is in those books to get your started and on your way. Like others have said backpack hunting is very expensive (quality gear), but can be cheap and uncomfortable if you get cheap gear.

slayer_54 02-22-2010 02:20 PM

goin for a week hunting in CO. but am in the process of planning some weekend trips in Duluth, MN. already i have noticed the prices are high, but i have friends willing to lend me a packing tent. i live for being outdoors, and am lookin for a challenge/ hobby. and any advice on packing, survival, gear is more than welcome.

houndsman12 02-22-2010 02:49 PM

if you are going to be backpacking on a elk hunt. pack lite but what u need for sure.. start to get in shape now
and be prepared to pack some wight
it aint no Sunday school picnic when you packin elk out
and like wolf killer said, ''it is not for the faint of Heart''

genesis27:3 02-22-2010 03:04 PM

Go in light come out heavy, is the best advice I can give u.

gowkout 02-22-2010 04:10 PM

A good start would be...get you an eberlestock blue widow pack and some Kenetrek mountain extreme boots. You will need this to start getting into shape.

I know I look funny (dont really care) but I wear this stuff in the gym starting in march to get into shape. I live on that stair climbing machine!( the one with the rolling stairs) It has served me well. As i get more in shape I increase the weight in pack till I get to my capacity weight that I will use on my hunt. I also work legs twice a week, free squats, deadlifts, leg curls/extensions,calves. I keep things at a high rep scheme like 20-30 reps for more of an endurance type of lifting.

Its cool to borrow stuff if you can, but you will need to get those boots broken in and you will need your muscles and back to be in shape for carrying that pack over the miles you will walk.

The rest is as others have said...from there get lightest equipment you can afford, borrow or whatever...lol

Kinda flat here in Texas, so a mans gotta to do what a man has to do!!!

Good luck

spaniel 02-22-2010 04:20 PM

Make sure you get a good pack that fits you. I just got an Eberlestock J107, they make a GREAT pack. They close up for a day pack, but expand out to a hauler if you get lucky.

Just listing out the gear for a trip is pages to get into. Get quality stuff and cry at your credit card bill and not when you are back in the wilderness with crap and your life depends on said crap. Stay light. No cotton.

When you think you are in good enough shape, you're halfway there.