Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Any help with CO units 54,55,62,65 for mule deer? >

Any help with CO units 54,55,62,65 for mule deer?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Any help with CO units 54,55,62,65 for mule deer?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Spike

Default Any help with CO units 54,55,62,65 for mule deer?

Im in the begginning stages of planning a mule deer hunt an after a little bit of research hae narrowed down my search a little to these units. It will be applying for archery tags and im going to be prepared to backpack a good ways in. I live in Houston so scouting trips are kind of out Other than one trip this summer. Im not asking for gps coordinates or anything. Just trying to do some extra research of deer numbers and quality. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

I can only give you info on unit 62. The deer population has been up and down for years and now with the lion study going on again expect the numbers to go down again. There are still some good bucks in the unit, but I think the CDOW was severly off on there counts from a couple of years ago when we had that really bad winter.

As far as hiking into a place in the unit during archery season to get away from people, good luck. Mule deer will be scattered from Divide Rd down to the thick oakbrush and maybe just a few in the lower country, but very far and few between. There just are not a lot of places to actually get away from people in the unit because of the amount of roads and 4-wheeler trails. Most places you can get in and out of pretty quickly on foot.

Good luck on your search and good hunting.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt 55 extensively when I draw a mulie tag. Deer #s are down a LOT due to last two BAD winters. But they are improving some. Tag draw is hardest and going to get harder.