Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Do It Yourself Hunt Ideas? >

Do It Yourself Hunt Ideas?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do It Yourself Hunt Ideas?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

New Mexico Elk odds range from bad to decent I'd think, you'd have to look into an area/season etc...

if you get yourself an outfitter, they have their own drawing, and much better odds typically.

Put in as a party, so all of you draw or none of you..., less you wanna tag along and your buddy does as well if only 1 of you draw. I'm not sure, but if 2 or 3 of your choices are drawn before they goto the next applicant, then I'd put in for a great unit, followed by a lesser quality/higher draw odds unit...
Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Spike

Hey Podunk,

I live in Oklahoma and I go on a DIY hunt every year in Wyoming for antelope. If you have done any research at all you would already know Wy. is the place to go for goats. The amount of public land Wy has is retarded! The draw odds for non residents are excellent also. I use Eastman's hunting journal for alot of my research. The magazine breaks down different units and also the draw odds that pertain to the units. It is an excellent tool to get started in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by msmith1956
How about a northeast Wyoming antelope hunt? If interested e-mail me at [email protected]., or look at our ad in the outfitters section.( we are not outfitters) we show hunters how to get around the over priced outfitters and DIY.
Since the OP specifically asked about "do it yourself" I can't figure out why he'd want a guide.

I'd suggest a DIY antelope in WY. Its easy to get a license and not hard to find good public land hunting. With any luck you could also hunt coyotes and shoot a few pds at the same time.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you need any help let me know. I live in NE Wyoming and although I do not usually hunt antelope I know the areas around here. There are so many antelope out here you really can be picky. There is starting to get some pretty good ones out here again as far as size goes. There are two areas north of HWy450 that have better odds for drawing. I believe they are 23 and 24. There are national grasslands public lands in those areas. Area 27 is also full of public land but that area is very hard to draw. Get the USGS thunder basin national grasslands map so you can study the public lands in those areas and then decide on which one you would like to try to hunt.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and I have also hunted North West Nebraska for antelope with archery tags that are over the counter. The Ogllala national grasslands hold quite a few of them and there are water holes to set up on as well. Those antelope are very skittish but we managed to get close and get a shot at them. If you don't draw Wyoming that is always an option.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Thats the only reason I was considering nebraska is the over the counter tags, I was worried the locals would know of all the water holes and theyd all be hunted though.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Thats the only reason I was considering nebraska is the over the counter tags, I was worried the locals would know of all the water holes and theyd all be hunted though.

I believe we only ran into two hunters over the labor day weekend when we were hunting. There are a ton of pastures spread out over miles of land. The key was to find the ones that the antelope were in and hunt them. I don't think there are all that many hunters down there. Of course you never know when everyone plans their hunts so there is a possibility.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wyoming pronghorn antelope. Units 23 and 24 typically have a 100% draw rate for non-residents. You can hunt on public land or pay modest trespass fees to hunt on ranches. The success rate for pronghorn antelope is about 95%. The hunt is not physically challenging. You can put up in a hotel. If you are looking for trophy pronghorn, the game changes. The better areas are known and it is difficult to drawin those areas. The land where the trophys are located, unless by chance they are on public land, are leased by outfitters who will charge you some substantial money to hunt with them -- maybe not totally outrageous, say $2,000 per hunter, but more expensive than DIY in units 23 and 24.