HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   bow huntin elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/316641-bow-huntin-elk.html)

trophyhill 02-04-2010 07:06 PM

bow huntin elk

how many tries before you put your first elk on the ground with a bow?

salukipv1 02-04-2010 07:34 PM

0/4 so far...

2 rifle...
2 bow...

3rd bow's the charm....this fall in MT! hopefully I'll have a bull tag, perhaps a cow tag, otherwise just tagging along on the hunt...

Redfishing1983 02-05-2010 03:45 PM

I'm 0 for 2 with a bow, it's not as easy as it looks on T.V., but it sure is great to be out threre, and when a bull lets out a bugle it almost makes the trip worth it in itself

finnbear 02-05-2010 04:36 PM

how are we counting??? on number of times hunting?? or shot oppertunities???

Hunter_59 02-06-2010 06:02 AM

I am 0/3 right now. If I were to count how many trips were successful, then I am 3/3! Elk hunting is a thrill! Of the three times to Colorado I should have put a bull on the ground 2/3. Not bad for a flatlander from Illinois. I think I am finally getting over the intimidation factor of the "hugeness" of the land and am learning my area fairly well. I don't jump around too much. Just try to learn where the elk like to be in my area. It's an awesome experience! Looking forward to Sept.

Wolf killer 02-06-2010 11:09 AM

I have killed 4-elk with a bow in the 9-years I have bow hunted. My first 2-elk with a bow were killed during my first two years of bow hunting. Things slowed down after that & I have not been as lucky.
I gave up bow hunting for 4-years due to lack of success, hot weather & working at a new job.
I will be bow hunting this year with my time being spent looking for a good buck Mule deer. Chances are I will not hunt elk with a bow again, if I get hooked on early season mule deer hunting.

ndncreek 02-06-2010 08:41 PM

1-2 for archery

bullelk1 02-07-2010 05:25 AM

First elk with a bow came in my first season, a cow. The first bull took a LONG time. I have killed 4 with a bow and 8 with rifles. Been elk hunting 17 years.

Pygmy 02-07-2010 07:25 AM

I hunted twice with my bow...Missed a bull the first time and killed a cow the second...

My third and final elk hunt was with my muzzleloader...Killed a 6x6...

All my hunts were DIY , unguided public land hunts...

BuckAlley 02-08-2010 04:49 AM

0 for 2. I believe I read 1x in a magazine on season outlook. Might've been Outdoor Life. Colorado was like a 12% success rate for archery, and that was higher than other western states. Trust me if you go west with high hopes during archery you will be disappointed. If you go looking forward to a great hunt, and a Elk would just be a bonus. You will go home satisfied! My head is filled with a memory of a nice 6x7 Bull running in directly at me. Stopping at 40yds just below a knob with only his head, neck, and very top of his back showing. No shot. But what a head RUUUSSSHHHH!!!!