Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

unit 15 or 51 new mexico

Old 02-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Spike

Default unit 15 or 51 new mexico

I am looking to hunt new mexico in 2010 from my research I'm thinking of trying for a muzzelloader hunt in unit 15 or 51 if anyone has been there and could give me some advice of which way to go please reply. Note I am not looking for a 350 bull but it would be nice I would be happy with a 300 no doubt. Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

15 is a notorious trophy elk unit...I'm assuming very tough odds...

check the odds, 51 sounds more realistic at drawing...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Spike

don't know if you're still looking but i hunted 15 first muzzleloader in 2008- never connected but had a good hunt. if you'd be happy w/ a 300 bull unit 51 or 52 would be the best bet- better odds, too. make sure to look at the season dates and moon phase as well. on my hunt it was a full moon and the elk were back into the timber before the sun even hit the hillsides. 15 has a little bigger elk because it's never rifle-hunted and it's a huge unit.