Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Idaho unit 27 DIY bear

Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default Idaho unit 27 DIY bear

A buddy and I are trying to plan a DIY bear hunt in Idaho. We'll be coming up from Utah, and from what I can gather, unit 27 would be one of closest units to Utah that would provide a good opportunity to see some bruins. We're looking to do spot and stalk hunting with the rifle, but we aren't opposed to setting up some bait sites.

Anyone ever hunt this area for bears? Or is there a better area that I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Spike

That is some steep country with a good bear population. Maybe you can find some wolves for bait!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Spike

Cool unit 39

I went to unit 39 a few years ago and my three buddies and I only saw one bear. We set up baits and spot and stalked the only one we saw and shot just happened to be on the way to making our first camp. It was small but it was a bear. I was the told by local fish and game the area was good but I should have researched more. The next time we went I got on the internet and looked up outfitters and called some to find out where they hunted and made sure it was a spot and stalk not baits or hounds. Ps if you talk to the outfitters make sure you dont tell them you are a DIY guy they dont like us much. when I went that time I had a lot better hunt many many bears. Idaho I awesome with the over the counter tags. GOOD LUCK!