Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Introduction and gear questions (1st post) >

Introduction and gear questions (1st post)

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Introduction and gear questions (1st post)

Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Spike

Default Introduction and gear questions (1st post)

My first post here and looking for some gear advice (and any other advice offered!)

I live in Western CO and for some reason just have not hunted since I moved here. Grew up in So TX, hunted white tail, pigs and javelina plenty until I was in my early twenties. Have been in CO for 15 years and am ready to get back into hunting again.

Went this year 2nd rifle with an OTC bull tag, no luck, just kind of a last minute thing. (Unit 42 because it was close, but LOTS of pressure) Still; had a blast and remembered what I've been missing all these years.

I kinda winged it for this hunt, I still hike and camp quite a bit so I had great boots and decent clothes and pack, but geared toward recreational use.

I am looking for some input on packs; specifically internal vs external frame and some different makes.

I am planning on buying a bow this year too or I wouldn't be too concerned with camo or scentlok stuff (BDU's always worked fine for me) so any input on patterns and manufacturers is appreciated as well.

I have a good selection of guns and glass (have always remained very much a "gun guy") and more than likely will stick with Win 70 in 7MM Rem Mag w/ Leupold VXIII 3-9 for elk rifle. Would like to break out the old Weatherby .25-06 for some antelope if I get a chance though.

Probably need a good set of binoculars too. ANy input there appreciated.

Have all the other stuff from backpacking: GPS, survival gear, GMRS radios, tents, bags, blah, blah, blah.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

gjk5,

Welcome to the BB.

Here is some of the gear i use;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0027273

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-mo...inoculars.html

Not sure if you are looking for bows or camo gear also ?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Spike

Bow, pack, camo and binoculars. Think I have the rest covered.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

Should probably clarify too:

For rifle season I will ride an ATV in and hike a few miles, possible for bow eason too.

Doubt I will do a true backpacking hunt anytime soon.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted with a pair of Burris Signature Select 10x42 binoculars this past November and will be buying a pair before next September. I really like them.

As for a backpack, I have a 10 year old or so Kelty internal frame pack that I hit with a rattle can, but would suggest getting one that is already camoed up or at least not bright blue. The advantage to it is that it carries a light-medium load well so packing lots of gear around all day or packing out a whitetail is no problem. But it is usually too much pack, and when I need to pack out anything with weight it is horrid.
I hunted with a Nimrod Pinnacle day pack this fall and used their folding frame to help a buddy pack out a big muley buck and plan on getting myself one along with a frame to make hunting lightweight easier but having a frame back at the truck or at camp.

http://www.nimrodpacks.com/hunting-gear.html

I don't know much about camo so I am not much of a help there and not gonna even recommend something, and as far as bows I don't know anything about newer bows, I have a Parker that they don't make anymore, so...yeah.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

love my Pentax DCF-SP 10x43 binos

great for the money in my opinion
Old 12-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjk5
Bow, pack, camo and binoculars. Think I have the rest covered.
Welcome to the Hunting net board!
Lets start off with your Bow.
Mathews, Hoyt, BowTech, Martin, Darton & PSE all make good bows. You will find the BowTech, Hoyt & Mathews draw a large following of loyal shooters. I recommend going to at least a couple of archery stores and shooting a few makes and models before you pick one bow to buy.
I shoot a BowTech.

Pack: Badlands & Eberlestock are making great packs.
My pack of choice is the Badlands Superday pack.

Camo: Mossy Oak of Realtree, flip a coin they both make good camo.
I use them both.

Binos: Leica, Swarovski & Zeiss are the best, they are know as the big three. Nikon, Leupold & Pentax also make good binos but they are not in the same league as the big three.
I use Swarovski SLC 10x42 binos. Swarovski binos are expensive but I am glad I made the investment.

Good Luck Hunting,

WK
Old 12-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

gjk5,

Wolf killer gave you the list of bows - Bow tech guy also.

Camo recommendation for outer shell (put whatever you need under).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0005232

BTW - pack pack needs to be waterproof
Old 12-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjk5

I am looking for some input on packs; specifically internal vs external frame and some different makes.

I am planning on buying a bow this year too or I wouldn't be too concerned with camo or scentlok stuff (BDU's always worked fine for me) so any input on patterns and manufacturers is appreciated as well.

Probably need a good set of binoculars too. ANy input there appreciated.
I prefer internal packs so if I were you I would check out Badlands, Crooked Horn, Kifaru, and Eberlestock. All of them have a good warranty and are made out of quality materials. Kifaru packs are custom made for you.
For a day pack I have been using the Badlands Ultra day pack. It works well, and is very well built.

As for Bows.....there are a ton out there that are good bows. Try out a bunch and see which one feels best to you. If you are left handed you will probably have to go to a ton of shops just to shoot a few different bows.
Camo to me is a bit overrated. Something like ASAT, Predator, Realtree AP all work well in a variety of enviroments.

Binoculars...how much do you want to spend? For the money Nikon Monarchs, and Leupold Cascades are nice and they have a good warranty. Once you get into the higher end binos you will probably be looking at the more expensive Leupold's, Zeiss, and Swarovski's.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Spike

Badlands or blacks creek packs are great packs. It is tough for allot of people to get past them being in the 100-300 range for cost but Blacks Creek has a great warranty and Badlands is actually famous for their unconditional lifetime warranty. I had a zipper break on the badlands pack i used for a full season and when i sent it back to them, they sent me back a completely new one. Shipping the item back is all i had to pay, and i thought it was worth it.

I have also done some How-To videos and posted them to youtube and they show me going through all the pockets of a full pack with just how much you can actually fit in the packs...i didnt do very many but there are still several. My accout through youtube is thecasey012293

http://www.bugsnbullets.com/catalog/...ries-51-1.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.