Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Introduction and gear questions (1st post) >

Introduction and gear questions (1st post)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Introduction and gear questions (1st post)

Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

As far as bows are concerned, go with the above advice and get to a proshop and shoot before you buy. There are a number of proven manufactures and it often comes down to what fits best for you. Don't succumb to sales pitch hype, ft per second, etc... If you buy something that fits you right and you enjoy shooting, you'll practice with the beast, have more fun shooting, and find yourself more successful in connecting when you take the shot in the field.

Packs? As stated; Badlands, Crooked Horn, Kifaru, and Eberlestock have good reputations. Mystery Ranch comes up a lot as the premium pack, though you will pay dearly for it. I have a Badlands Hypervent and love it. I will get another Badlands pack, but there again fit counts.

I think there is much ado about camo. The first few years I bow hunted, I was in school, poor, and couldn't afford much beyond the tags. I wore an old pair of light weight wool slacks (brown), usually a plaid shirt or jacket, and bread bags over the feet because I didn't have water proof foot wear (One had to change out the bags and socks at least once a day or interesting things would start growing on your feet). The idea is to break up your outline and try not to stand out. I don't care what camo you wear, if an animal catches motion, it will peg you. It might not spook, but it will be aware that not all is well in its little world. I hunt more comfortably, and more in style, now, but am not a better hunter for the good boots and camo. I buy camo to hunt in because its cheap. At least the stuff I get is.

Binoculars: Like packs, try them out. Get to a large retailer that sells glass and look through them, get a feel for how they fit your hands, eye relief, etc... After many years of saving, I ran off to buy a pair of Leicas last Spring. I looked through some Leicas, Swarovskies, Euros, and Leupolds. The Leupolds were impressive, I wasn't impressed with the Euros, and the Zeiss and Swarovskis were unbelievable. I ended up with a pair of Swarovskis. Not because they are necessarily superior to the Leicas, but because they were the best for my eyes and the best ergonomic fit. Buy the best you can afford.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Spike

Welcome! I'm new here too. I can't tell you about a pack (still waiting to do my first elk hunt....) I can say that I have a set of nikon monarch, and for the money they seem to be about the best set of glass that I looked through a cabela's. I have the 10x42's, but all were good for the money. Good luck!