Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Help from Veteran Elk hunters please >

Help from Veteran Elk hunters please

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help from Veteran Elk hunters please

Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been on 2 archery hunts in Colorado, going back this coming year. My choice was Colorado, and have no regrets. Colorado is full of public land. You'll be looking at mid to western Colorado for Elk. The Mountains! Most of it is federal land, that you can access by the miles & miles of truck trails. Deeper in you'll find areas of Forever Wild land where you can only access it by horse or foot. Look at some of the National Forests there. The views alone make it worth the trip!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

PS- apply everywhere, build pts in other states too, would be nice to have a hunting buddy with the same # of pts etc...so down the road you both could cash them in and hunt together in another state.

I'd put in as a party in NM for one of the great units and who knows you both might be hunting world class elk this year together if you get lucky!?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Spike

I live in Idaho, and wolves are a big problem. We used to have great bow seasons and great calling.....NOW its getting rare that they call at all... Only at night, its a dinner bell to wolves. If you are still serious then there is lots to be had around Stanley, Idaho. Its big beautiful country, and here is a bonus...Shoot a wolf and makea local happy. Tags for wolves are $11.00 . Don't let them put wolves in your state !! U.S. Goverment ( aka U.S. Fish and Wildlife. P.S. Please take home a tree hugger too, they make great house pets.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Spike

I would hardly say that Montana has wolf "Problems"
Old 01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
Colorado is a good place, just check to make sure that the area you choose has not been hit too hard by the beetles. Last year we hunted the Weminuche and vast amounts of forest had been destroyed by those dumb beetles.
I heard parts of Colorado were hit by beetles, but exactly how
did this impact the elk hunting?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dinosaur
I heard parts of Colorado were hit by beetles, but exactly how
did this impact the elk hunting?
Quite literally vast areas of forest have been reduced to standing dead trees.
Here is a small sample picture....there were literally entire mountain sides completely wiped out by these beetles.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Besides the beetles, we saw huge stands of dead aspen trees in Colorado this year. It looked like some kind of virus wiped them out, going on for miles and miles. They were either dead, or they all lost their leaves prematurely, because usually the gold leaves are just starting to show up when we get there

We saw a lot of bulls, but it was definitely the wierdest year I have seen yet. Bulls acted like they were almost post-rut in the last days of bow season. They all had their cows, and they were not really acting overly agressive. It was like someone had pushed us forward in time. I wouldn't think it was all so wierd, but we have been hunting the same area for 12 years, so the differences were pretty striking!

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Old 01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by elkmtngear
Besides the beetles, we saw huge stands of dead aspen trees in Colorado this year. It looked like some kind of virus wiped them out, going on for miles and miles. They were either dead, or they all lost their leaves prematurely, because usually the gold leaves are just starting to show up when we get there

We saw a lot of bulls, but it was definitely the wierdest year I have seen yet. Bulls acted like they were almost post-rut in the last days of bow season. They all had their cows, and they were not really acting overly agressive. It was like someone had pushed us forward in time. I wouldn't think it was all so wierd, but we have been hunting the same area for 12 years, so the differences were pretty striking!

Best of Luck,
Jeff
thats how they were in Wyoming also--wierd