Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk Hunting Backpack Question >

Elk Hunting Backpack Question

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Backpack Question

Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

I second the mystery ranch. Awesome packs good for day hunts or heavy loads along with good customer service. Broke a buckle on it this past season and they replaced no problem right a way.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Spike

I would recommend Kifaru. They are custom made to your size. Not some off the shelf "one size fits all" I have the Late Season, and I use it for 3 hour hunt or a 3 day bivy.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

23 years in the Infantry taught me that internal frame packs are the most comfortable, but external frame packs are the most versatile.

I've used both to pack out elk quarters and by far prefer the external frame. It's easier to lash quarters to, you can remove your pack and take just the frame and a daypack along with you on day hunts. With an internal frame, you're basically stuck with carrying the complete pack, which is more bulk than makes sense to carry.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you really want a backpack that will do anything Kifaru should be at the top of your list. Custom made, quality materials, quality design, good warranty, and good customer service.
If you dont want something custom made take a look at Crooked Horn, Badlands, and Eberlstock. All of the above packs are made with quality materials, and are put together well with a good warranty.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Spike

Badlands is a really good backpack too. I have been using the diablo for the past four years and have only had one issue. My zipper broke and i sent it in and it was fixed and sent back to me. It is a great warranty, I got mine from bugsnbullets.com and got some free stuff too. They are giving free shipping i think too, i didnt get it when i ordered mine; but lately they have been giving away a ton of free stuff.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Spike

Alaskan guide packframe with a big duffle strapped to it and a day pack for hunting.

Last edited by Poor Man; 02-23-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Spike

wrong picture, i think this is a pic of it lol
Attached Thumbnails Elk Hunting Backpack Question-hunt-28.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by AK Jeff
I've used a Badlands 4500 for years and haven't ever had any complaints. I've packed elk, moose, caribou, mountain goat, and Dall sheep in that 4500 and it's always worked well, and carried the loads comfortably. Here it is loaded down with over 100 pounds of sheep meat, head, and cape.
Jeff, your pack looks really low in relation to your shoulders. I like the weight up high on my packs, is that your preference or is that the way the pack is designed?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TwoBear
Jeff, your pack looks really low in relation to your shoulders. I like the weight up high on my packs, is that your preference or is that the way the pack is designed?
I can't speak for his preference, but I can tell you that it is not due to pack design unless he has a really long torso.
The 4500 with a 19-21" torso should easily get you a 45degr angle on the load lifters.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at these two;

http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm

http://www.badlandspacks.com/index.php?go=Packs_Core01#

I'm looking for a new pack right now myself........................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.