Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

how old were your kids...

Old 06-04-2003, 06:53 PM

Default how old were your kids...

...when you first took them hunting for big game? If you were going out looking for Black bear and doing a lot of hiking in the foothills(2500-3000 ft. ASL) would you consider it risky to take a 7 year old or do you think it is perfectly alright? Or does your opinion lie somewhere in between? Your opinions may impact my upcoming weekend. (we will be looking for blacks, but even though they are not in season now, it is just as likely we will find grizzlies as well).
Old 06-05-2003, 12:16 AM

Default RE: how old were your kids...

I took my boys out when I felt they were ready physically and mentally... when there young they have to learn patience, which is hard if your sitting on stand. I found it better to go after small game first when my kids were young and slowly work them into sitting longer and longer each time. If they get scared or hurt for any reason out there your pretty much done! They remember everything or almost everything. Make there outings fun when there young and they will grow into the bigger and better hunters. My daughter was never interested in hunting so I can' t speak for the young ladies. Good luck with whatever you decide and remember whatever happens HAVE PATIENCE WITH THEM!!!
Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how old were your kids...

It really isn' t that big of a decision. Unless the wife gets involved!
When the boy is constantly after you wanting to go hunting or fishing when you go, then you know it' s time.
I took my son out when he was 5 yrs old for the first time. I' ve never bear hunted, but that would' nt matter. I' ve taken him elk and deer hunting since that age and have never regretted it. I can remember back all those years and believe me, I don' t think I could' ve left the house without him. He' s turned out to be the best hunting partner a man could want. (He' s now 24) Just keep an eye on him and don' t push him more than you know he can take, believe me kids are tough, they can handle more than most give them credit for. If he' s anything like my boy, you' ll never be able to leave him home again,LOL. You may have to slow down some so he can keep up, but wait a few years, It' ll be him slowing down so you can keep up. If I had it to do over again, I would not change a thing.
I could say a lot more, but I think you know how I feel. elknut1