Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

moose

Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Spike

Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a great time. I always love going out and seeing game regardless if I kill something!!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I thought that piece missing from the tip was from fighting or rubbing but it turns out that moose will bite chew on their owns sheds. It was made from another moose (maybe the same bull who dropped it) biting the antler.
Although I am not sure what exactly chewed it, I was guessing coyotes did the chewing. I have found a couple like that here. One was frozen in the ground with the end chewed completely in half.. At my first look I thought perhaps an automobile had broken it but it was to far away from a main road.. Here is one that I had found that was chewed on by something.. I am still thinking yotes however, and squirrels chewed the points..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 12-22-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Spike

looks like a few squirrel's got too it.
nice horn
Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by turkeyward
Come on guys. It is obvious to me this is a very cool coincidence this guy happened onto an early shed antler from a yearling bull moose at about the same time he dropped it. That antler and the one that is still on the moose in the picture are almost identical matches. That being said... nearly all moose are two points their first year. In BC there are hunts specifically for the two points. I hate to sound uppity here, but when you criticize someone about their identification of wildlife, maybe you should do some research. My dad told me years ago... better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

This is exactly what I was trying to say!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Although I am not sure what exactly chewed it, I was guessing coyotes did the chewing. I have found a couple like that here. One was frozen in the ground with the end chewed completely in half.. At my first look I thought perhaps an automobile had broken it but it was to far away from a main road.. Here is one that I had found that was chewed on by something.. I am still thinking yotes however, and squirrels chewed the points..

I looked at mine again and can see exactly what this guy from a moose shed site posted on my thread. I can see the teeth marks perfectly along the outter edge opposite of the peeled off back side. Here's what he posted.

That's definately a moose chew. It's very common here in Nova Scotia. Matter of fact somewhere around 50% of our mature moose have broken front teeth from this behavior. If you look closer at your shed you will probably see the flat edge of the bottom front teeth of the moose along the edge of the break. Bears and coyotes have sharp pointed teeth and it's pretty easy to tell when they chewed a moose shed.