Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

moose

Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 PM
bigcountry

Yep, thats a real moose horn. Dadgone rak, you don't know much about 1 year moose do you?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM
RAK
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Yep, thats a real moose horn. Dadgone rak, you don't know much about 1 year moose do you?
No, I don't know.

I just learned something...

I am new to big game.

Now I know!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

That would, indeed, be a yearling moose. Here in British Columbia, one restriction that is used in many areas is that a moose have no more than 2 points on at least one antler; such moose are referred to as spike/fork bulls. This regulation is used to prevent the killing of the more mature breeding bulls and about 20% of yearlings have 2-point or smaller antlers. The other 80% generally have small 3 or 4 point sides, and often there is very little palmation.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

pretty cool... nice find and encounter...cool that you got the pic off the moose w/ one horn and his shed...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the nice find as well as the moose pic with one antler.. There is really no set rule on how a moose will grow it's antlers.. A couple of years a go a 2 pointer was shot that was a big sized moose. His antlers were long and solid but it was lacking any other points.. Here is the pic of the antlers of mine shot this past fall. It is also a 4 pointer but they grew different than the one you have shown.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

correction ...moose shot in the fall are all 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 ecttttt . old .they are born in the spring so by fall have aged approximatly 6 months and have just a small bump on they're head where the antlers will later show ..at 1 1/2 years old they have spikes or forks ....
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Spike

I'll tell you one thing, I would love to have that same oppertunity. To find a antler with blood on the base and then find the owner of said antler a bit farther down the road. Don't know bout ya'll but to me that is a really cool encounter.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Well it's not really huge for a moose shed but still very respectable for the area I was in. A buddy of mine figured it to be probably a 50" bull.

I’ve been hunting a big buck pretty hard the past several times out so on this day I wanted to explore another area but still staying close to his home grounds. Found some great rubs and a few scrapes but the highlight of the day was this. I found it lying on a small island of hemlocks in the middle of a good size bog. I should head back with my hip boots and really start getting back into shed hunting. This area is some real sweet prime moose country. In my days of living in MD I wasn’t too bad of a shed hunter.

I thought that piece missing from the tip was from fighting or rubbing but it turns out that moose will bite chew on their owns sheds. It was made from another moose (maybe the same bull who dropped it) biting the antler. At first I didn't believe it but after looking in our state antler and skull record book, there's another moose shed with the same exact bit taken out of it. Pretty weird huh?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

i;ll take a shot at the damaged antler and would say porcipine damaged the antlers . even snow shoe rabbits will chew on antlers for the calcium ...
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Nice shot but clearly a big miss The shed I have on hand and in my basement is NOT chewed on. I shed hunted for deer antlers for years and have a pretty good collection so I know what a chewed on antlers look like. Now the other moose shed I have from VT is chewed on so I also have something to compare it with.

The teeth marks, the perfect bite size mark in this shed and the other one in the record books leaves me with no debut not to believe him. He finds a ton of moose shed from the NH & VT area every year so until I come close to finding moose sheds like this guy or unless you care to share your moose shed collection; I just have to take his word about it.

Even the official B&C scorer who’s scoring it after the new years said that they DO bite and gnaw on them but not that often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.