HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   gonna catch crap for this post... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/310754-gonna-catch-crap-post.html)

MJR10 11-25-2009 01:56 PM

gonna catch crap for this post...

...but how do you "get off" killing a bear over bait. or anything else for that matter. Just tuned into an A-Way show with the guy climbing a ladder stand with a big smile on his face saying "I can smell the bait and the anise oil set"..WTF I say...just doesn't seem right to me...ok start bringing the heat for me bashing hunting over bait....Just can't stand to think that is part of hunting.....and the fact that it makes TV show..

Schultzy 11-25-2009 02:48 PM

Have you ever bear hunted?

Valentine 11-25-2009 03:12 PM

If you were a hunter

you would know in some states it is illegal; in some states it is legal.

It generally depends on the hunting population and the hunting conditions. Sometimes the mandate is to keep the population within bounds with the hunters available.

Some states are using shooters in urban areas to reduce deer populations. Is the use of night scopes and night hunting fair. In this question it has nothing to do with fair, but the resolution of an overpopulation causing accidents, lyme disease and other urban problems.

In some areas, you may just have to retire from hunting.

Howler 11-25-2009 03:37 PM

Don't suppose that hunting over a water hole is "fair" in your eyes either, huh? Such as lots of bow hunters do for antelope. Don't suppose you like mtn. lion being tree'd either? Even though it gives the hunter a lot of time to determine sex of the cat and weather or not to shoot it or let it live another day. Much like a hunter can do while bear hunting over bate. Gives the hunter a lot of time to determine sex of the bear and if the bear is a of size that the hunter is looking for.
You probably don't sit over a well used deer trail either. Why, after all, it's just not fair knowing that the deer use the trail often and there's a good chance that they will come down that trail at any moment. How fair is it to sit in a treestand 20' up out of the deers view and getting your scent away from them. Almost like cheating isn't it!
By the way, I've never bear hunted, not even over bait. BUT at least I understand the vailidity of it!!

shooter1966 11-25-2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Howler (Post 3512018)
Don't suppose that hunting over a water hole is "fair" in your eyes either, huh? Such as lots of bow hunters do for antelope. Don't suppose you like mtn. lion being tree'd either? Even though it gives the hunter a lot of time to determine sex of the cat and weather or not to shoot it or let it live another day. Much like a hunter can do while bear hunting over bate. Gives the hunter a lot of time to determine sex of the bear and if the bear is a of size that the hunter is looking for.
You probably don't sit over a well used deer trail either. Why, after all, it's just not fair knowing that the deer use the trail often and there's a good chance that they will come down that trail at any moment. How fair is it to sit in a treestand 20' up out of the deers view and getting your scent away from them. Almost like cheating isn't it!
By the way, I've never bear hunted, not even over bait. BUT at least I understand the vailidity of it!!

What he said.

MJR10 11-25-2009 04:03 PM

Knew this was coming. Almost like I threw the bait out for some of you. No pun intended! I have not hunted bear, but I would, but not over bait that I was for sure gonna have my choice to choose from.

I hunt NY. Yes they keep the deer population in control, and baiting is illegal. If it was legal I still would not be a part of it..

As far as determining the age and sex of a bear, I probably am not educated to make a statement. NY you can't shoot a bear if it is with other bear. Pretty much eliminates a sow and cubs from being taken.

I figured this post would get blown up, but I am not here to argue, but maybe get educated as to why baiting is a good thing and "needed or required" to take a free ranging animal.

The show I tuned into just left a sour taste in my mouth when someone was so happy about spooking a bear off a pile of food strategically placed by a stand only to say he wiill be back in minutes.....

Maybe it is needed is certain areas of the country, but imagine if it was legal across the country..

bigbulls 11-25-2009 04:56 PM

Bait: : something used in luring especially to a hook or trap.

If you hunt over a food plot you hunt over bait.
If you use doe estrous you hunt over bait.
If you use dominant buck urine you hunt over bait.
If you make a mock scrape you hunt over bait.
If you use C' Meer Deer, Acorn Rage, or anything similar you hunt over bait.
If you use a decoy you hunt over bait.

I can go on all day long with this and will bet you a years salary that you too, MJR10, hunt over or with bait.

Muley669 11-25-2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bigbulls (Post 3512083)
Bait: : something used in luring especially to a hook or trap.

If you hunt over a food plot you hunt over bait.
If you use doe estrous you hunt over bait.
If you use dominant buck urine you hunt over bait.
If you make a mock scrape you hunt over bait.
If you use C' Meer Deer, Acorn Rage, or anything similar you hunt over bait.
If you use a decoy you hunt over bait.

I can go on all day long with this and will bet you a years salary that you too, MJR10, hunt over or with bait.

Yesterday I belly crawled to with 75 yards of a bedded elk herd. Grey wool britches, orange vest, and a blue flannel shirt underneath. Had a winchester 30/30 lever action open sight. No stupid scents, no bait, no trail cams or fancy hunting gear. It took me 4 hours from when i first saw them to get into a shooting position. Unfortunately, there wasn't a shooter bull in the bunch, and i snuck out undetected. Just because you use all these idiot scents and what not, don't assume others do. Hunters sold their souls years ago to the almightly dollar, I find it refreshing that some are starting to backlash.

bullelk1 11-25-2009 05:56 PM

I hunt bears over bait, and I hunt them with hounds. I have only shot 2 bears in 30 years of hunting for them, and I have probably passed on 50 or more. For all the reasons stated above, I find it to be an ethical way to hunt. In my state it allows us to hunt in the spring for big game. It is also very hard work with no guarantees.

bigbulls 11-25-2009 06:37 PM

Yesterday I belly crawled to with 75 yards of a bedded elk herd. Grey wool britches, orange vest, and a blue flannel shirt underneath. Had a winchester 30/30 lever action open sight. No stupid scents, no bait, no trail cams or fancy hunting gear. It took me 4 hours from when i first saw them to get into a shooting position. Unfortunately, there wasn't a shooter bull in the bunch, and i snuck out undetected. Just because you use all these idiot scents and what not, don't assume others do. Hunters sold their souls years ago to the almightly dollar, I find it refreshing that some are starting to backlash.
It would be a very safe bet that you, and every one else here, have used in the past or will use in the future some form of bait. For Gods sake, native Americans have used different forms of bait so don't act so holier than thou about "bait".