Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
gonna catch crap for this post... >

gonna catch crap for this post...

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

gonna catch crap for this post...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

This spring I go on my third baited bear hunt. In canada, bears are recognized as a recourse, carefully managed. It would be impossible in New Brunswick (where I go) to spot and stalk, and you cant run dogs. In the thick swamps the bears are usually found in, they are seldom shot or seen without baiting. Long hours in a stand with sitting absolutely still while being attacked by almost unimageneable clouds of black flies and mosquitos takes much more perseverance and discipline than it may seem. Sure, some of the tv shows show very unsportsmanlike behavior, but they sure as hell do more routinely on the punk oriented deer hunting shows that predominate hunting tv.
Usually when I hear one hunter slamming anothers game, he himself doesnt have much to be very proud of.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

In connecticut hunting regulations have been "relaxed" to increase the kill, plain and simple, while attempting to maintain a balanced herd. Years ago we used percussion or flintlock only guns, now we can use scopes or what ever we want on inline modern rifles.

I think most states have become more liberal with season dates, use of bait etc., for the same end, game management. Hell, in Maine you could walk for days and weeks and never come across a bear. In order not to be overrun with the toothy critters, they let you bait them. You then can take your time and shoot only a mature animal, or not shoot at all.

Obviosuly there is no need to let sheep hunters hunt over bait, as there is no overpopulation of them. By the same token there is a short season for them and it usually doesnt interfere with the breeding season.

In part its about money, (license sales) secondarily,
however the primary reason is game management.

As others have stated, we need to stick together. IF someone wants to or there is a need for hunting over bait, use crossbows, scopes on muzzleloaders etc, we need to support each other. Otherwise they will justify the need to ban each hunting discipline one at a time, until we are all banned.

if a conservative chooses not to hunt, he doesn't. If a liberal chooses not to hunt he wants to ban it for everyone.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have only killed one bear, and that was over bait just North of Duluth MN in 1991. I would love to get a chance to hunt them other ways too. But baiting is no problem for me. When I hunted I had 3 days to get it done. A friend baited for two weeks before I arrived and I sat on a stand two days before I saw and killed my first bear. If there hadn't been a good chance of success I wouldn't have wasted my time and money. The locals have all the time to hunt anyway they want, but for me hunting out of state, I'm taking every legal advantage, and using every gadget I can afford to increase my advantage. Nobody wants to spend money for tags and travel and have no chance.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Spike

luckily, I live in MT where everything is so wide open that baiting isn't necessary. spot and stalk hunting is the ultimate in fair chase.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Spike

if hunting over bait is legal in a state or province, your problem is with the state (or province). take it up with them.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian
Ethical norms are not absolute, and they aren't the same from species to species or from area to area. I don't happen to hunt any species over bait. I do hunt ducks over decoys, however, and I use a duck call. Couldn't this be considered to be equivalent, in some sense, to hunting over bait? An unnatural incentive to draw the prey within shooting range? You could argue attracting elk with calls is similar, although different in degree, from hunting over bait. It is really a silly question to debate. If you don't like it, don't do it. It isn't illegal, at least not in all hunting venues.

Perhaps your objection is that you don't consider hunting over bait "sporting." Maybe these hunters aren't in it for "sport." There are other reasons for hunting than the "sport." You may want to eat bear meat. You may want a bear rug. You may want a bear skin coat. Is killing an animal for sport a more valid reason than these reasons? I don't see it that way. And if you have a valid bear license, baiting is legal but not "sporting," I've got no problem with someone taking a bear over bait if they want to eat the meat and/or make good use of the skin.
Wish i'd have typed that. Very well said

Oh and those that think baiting is unethical.. Good luck with the fishing next season because i'm sure you will be throwing away those lures and not buying worms. Let me know. I may buy your rods from ya since you won't be using them any more

Last edited by DannyD; 12-16-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Spike

Bottom line is where ever you see Dogs, Bait, Scent, etc used in the hunting of any game is that the DGF has decide that they need to increase the success rate of hunters in order to ensure proper population control. If there were so few bears that the state could not afford a high success rate then these things would not be allowed.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Spike

i hunted bear over bait in Canada. If you did not hunt over bait in this area, you would not see a bear. It was just to thick of cover. If you do not feel ok hunting over bait try a coastel bear hunt. That is a spot and stalk hunt.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Spike

Everybody quit your bitchin an support all forms of hunting, or some tree hugger will try to take your bullets, or weapons or do like they did in the Northwest, give you wolves. Now they say we don't need hunters.....nature will take care of itself..BULL S..t Stay united and be Happy. Dee in Idaho

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.