Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
gonna catch crap for this post... >

gonna catch crap for this post...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

gonna catch crap for this post...

Old 11-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

I can see a point here but that is why this is called the USA. We have choices. The only bad thing about baiting is that if your state allows it and others hunters, hunting neighbors and such use it your at a dis advantage.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:13 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by Schultzy
You bet they did!! The Indians used every tactic possible to make sure meat was put on the table, they had no choice In the matter.

True enough, but those guys didn't have the option of picking up a pack of brats and a couple pounds of ground chuck at the supermarket on the way home if they got skunked. I'm sure there was lots of competition along with bragging rights for the guys who could bring home the most meat. But it wasn't a "sport" for those guys like it is for us.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a sticky at the top of this forum titled "DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY...OF HUNTERS... "

I think many of you might do well to read it.

It's kind of interesting that that post was made back in 2007 and it was a result of this same exact arguement.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Banned

"Hunting" over bait isn't hunting and if your "Wife" has an Adam's Apple it ain't marriage...........................
Old 11-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

For all those that are anti gadgetry please click the following link to see what the taxes on gadgetry go to. After reading the link feel free to let me know how this is bad.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusfd16usc669.htm

I do agree that the content of some of the shows is ethically questionable, however the outcome of sales and the dreaded advertisement does play a key role in wildlife management and offers us some of the opportunities that we see today.

Outfitters seem to get blasted equally as bad. Though I do not use them I respect them highly as lobbiasts when it comes to open hearings on fish and game issues. They are ALWAYS present and often not only plead their case to state comissioners, but also commonly back the every day hunter when they can so that a greater voice is heard.

The picture is often much bigger than what people percieve.....And this goes for bear baiting too!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by daddyslittlegirl
True enough, but those guys didn't have the option of picking up a pack of brats and a couple pounds of ground chuck at the supermarket on the way home if they got skunked.
Instead they watched over there old kills and stalked up on the bear. Same exact thing (baiting), different approach.

I'm sure there was lots of competition along with bragging rights for the guys who could bring home the most meat. But it wasn't a "sport" for those guys like it is for us.
It's not a sport with me either, It's hunting and It's a way of life I cannot do without. I don't have to hunt to put meat on the table like the Native Americans had to so yes I see your point saying It's a "sport" but not to everyone It Is.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Elkcrazy8
The picture is often much bigger than what people percieve.....And this goes for bear baiting too!
Very accurate statement for just about everything in life.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not hunt bears because I do not like the meat.. I do have friends that hunt as well as guide other hunters as well.. Hunting bear with bait is legal here and it should be IMO.. The bears are not dragged to the bait and tied up there for someone to shoot.. That is hardly the case at all.. In fact some bears will not even come close to the bait at all. Some will only at night as they are nocturnal in nature. We have our problems with problem bears coming into towns and getting into trash cans and attacking farm animals ect...
The woods is thick up here for the most part and to even see a bear without baiting you are lucky. Let alone a cub that could be hiding close by and you shoot the sow without knowing about the cub or cubs.. The cubs wouldn't make it threw thier first winter up here. So hunting over bait you get to be more selective. You get to see the cubs most of the time showing up at the bait before mom comes along.. Also a lot of the hunters being guided like to wait for a big bear to show itself before shooting any at all. This year was a great year for baiting as there was no berries for them to eat. Still alot of hunters saw all kinds of bears but went home empty handed because of wanting to get that big bruiser instead.. Some have heard that big bruiser snapping his jaws and never showed itself. Those folks were scared out of thier wits about those experiences. They would call the guide back in to help them get out of there because of all the noise the bear was making. He just wouldn't show himself..
So the idea of it being simple and easy is not what it is all about at all.. But to each thier own in how they choose to hunt.. Some use dogs to run them with up here as well.. Some dogs get killed and others will have a bear treed.. It is still the same though for as far as being selective about it..

Wearing camo,using a rifle, or even a newer M.L. I remember Pa was flintlock only for years. If we don't stand together we will hang alone.
Exactly the way it is.. United we stand and apart we all fall...

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 11-29-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Spike

Well stated, Phil.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some folks just need to stay in thier parks and dream what a wonderful world it would be.. They just can't understand any logic to anything at all..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 12-01-2009 at 03:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.