Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
.30 165Gr. BTSP  Hornady or Speer??? >

.30 165Gr. BTSP Hornady or Speer???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.30 165Gr. BTSP Hornady or Speer???

Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Relentless, what's your opinion on the MRX? I guess they are pretty new but the cut away pictures of it make it look like a bad azz boolit!

skiking, GOOD LUCK TO YOU! I hope you get one. I hunted CO. muzzleloader season and CO. second rifle seasons with no luck this year. Both seasons I hunted with my Omega, I just used a sabot and scope for rifle season. My brother got a 5x6 in muzzleloader season. The area we hunt requires 4 points or better on one side. No luck for me this year but I had a great time. Maybe next year!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
I'm thinking about starting to reload for my 3006. I'm looking for an all around bullet with a load good enough for Elk without going to the super expensive bullets. Looks like Hornady and Speer has some good offering. I'd like to hear from folks who reload and use these bullets.

Thanks,
Mitch
I have tried both and in a 165 grain bullet would choose the Hornady Interlock for elk. I think it is a little tougher. One good measure of insurance when using non premium bullets is to go with a heavier bullet.

You may what to consider a 180 with those type bullets on elk. It will lower the impact velocity which will improve weight retention and the downrange performance should be better also. The Speer BTSP has a .54 BC and that would be my choice between the two in a 180 grain offering.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skiking
While the 168s will penetrate well, I have not been very impressed with the wound channels produced by mono-metal bullets, there is more to killing an animal quickly than penetration as you know. I would much rather see the vital organs turn into a red chunky goo than to see a nice clean hole through them.

To each their own, I am just not sold on Barnes.
There is no free ride one way or another you can either penetrate further and have a narrow wound path or you can have a larger would path with less penetration.

Here is a great evaluation of various bullet performance that demonstrates the narrow wound path and great penetration of the barnes bullet. I was actually very impressed with the Hornady interbonds performance with the largest wound cavity by volume. I know the interbonds penetrate well because my 165 grainers penetrated an elk with no problem.

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/bulletshootout.html

Last edited by Scott Gags; 11-25-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Spike

.30 165Gr. BTSP  Hornady or Speer???-imgp3334.jpgColorado Cajun,
Nice looking elk! Here's a pic of the one I shot this year. Your right, Winchester does not make a 165 grain PP bullet. I used to load/hunt with Winchester Silvertips, but I have 6 kids plus my wife and all of us like to shoot so I tried the cheapest I could find and I am certainly impressed with the Remingtons core-lokts. And yes, the bulk bullet tips seem to be sloppy, but we can put them in a very small group all day long. For my money, the higher priced bullets are just not worth it. Dead elk is dead elk.
That being said, I've started casting my own bullets and am currently working up a load to see which works best. These cost $.17/round for a .308!! Also casting for the muzzleloader...pretty nice to shoot that rascal for just the cost of the powder & cap
Old 11-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by n5638b
Attachment 5538Colorado Cajun,
Nice looking elk! Here's a pic of the one I shot this year. Your right, Winchester does not make a 165 grain PP bullet. I used to load/hunt with Winchester Silvertips, but I have 6 kids plus my wife and all of us like to shoot so I tried the cheapest I could find and I am certainly impressed with the Remingtons core-lokts. And yes, the bulk bullet tips seem to be sloppy, but we can put them in a very small group all day long. For my money, the higher priced bullets are just not worth it. Dead elk is dead elk.
That being said, I've started casting my own bullets and am currently working up a load to see which works best. These cost $.17/round for a .308!! Also casting for the muzzleloader...pretty nice to shoot that rascal for just the cost of the powder & cap
Nice elk you got there too! I plan on checking out the core lokts also. I did buy a box of PP at Walmart labled 165gr. and they shot great out of my 06 but I can't find a trace of any more. I shot them side by side with some 180gr. PP's and there was a major difference in POI and grouping. Mu gun has always shot 165 and 150 gr. bullets better then 180. What powder are you using? I like shooting my muzzleloader too.

Scott, thanks for the info. I plan on testing the Interlock both the BT and non BT. My goal is to find a accurate bullet that I won't break the bank shooting a lot of and I can also hunt with. What powder are you using?

I came across a can of Varget and picked it up so I'll try some loads with it to start.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Spike

Cajun, IMR 4895 works pretty well for both my .308 and my sons 30-06. But I just started using VihtaVouri N135 and have to say I love it! About the same powder charge, but the groups are tighter than with the 4895. Half the fun in all this is figuring out a load that works really well. Then it's really cool when you drop an animal using one you loaded yourself!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

HTML Code:
Scott, thanks for the info. I plan on testing the Interlock both the BT and non BT. My goal is to find a accurate bullet that I won't break the bank shooting a lot of and I can also hunt with. What powder are you using?
I have been using mostly RL17. In the past I have used 4895, 4350, and RL22. RL 17 has gotten 100+ fps over all the other powders in every weight except 180 grain were it is only approx 50 FPS faster than the RL22. Groups have been most accurate with RL17 also with 165 interlocks,180 Speer BTSP and 200 grain accubonds all under MOA. I have just worked up a 180 Accubond that is making one hole 3/8" on calm days. I am getting 3012 FPS with 168 grain Nosler BT, 2820 with the 180 grain Accubond and 2720 FPS with the 200 grain accubond. Quickload estimates 65,000 with my loads so this should only be loaded in firearms also chambered in 270 winchester.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for sharing some info on your loads. I like hearing about what works good for other shooters because hopefully it will help me narrow down the different powders to try until I find the right load for my gun.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 AM
Spike

My Winchester Model 70 shoots 165 gr. Hornady BTSP in under one inch at 100 yrds. I have had great results with one shot kills on deer and elk in the past. The 165 gives me the best accuracy with the load I shoot. I tried 150's and 180's but my rifle didn't shoot them as well as the 165's.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pale White Cracker
Here's a smattering of (5) cup/core .308" 165's dug out of a rather great bear I killed. Absolutely dismal "performance". For conversation.

I'll upload the video some time,as it is rather revealing,because placement was excellent as a minimum.
What brand / Weight are those?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.