Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Gun Case Size Restrictions >

Gun Case Size Restrictions

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gun Case Size Restrictions

Old 11-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Spike

Question Gun Case Size Restrictions

With the new airline regulations that all bags must be under 62 total inches (L x W x H) most standard gun cases easily exceed the size restrictrion - and thus, are subject to an "oversized" charge which is often around $150 for each way of your trip (over AND back).

On a recent hunting trip to Canada, most of the passengers were also hunters. A survey of those guys found everyone had brought their own gun in a standard sized gun case. However, not one reported paying an oversized fee.

Has anyone who has traveled with their firearm this year had any experience with the size of their gun case being oversized when they checked in or during the return flight? I am traveling for a hunt next year and am wondering if I need to purchase a "break down" case in order to be compliant with the luggage size restrictions or would a standard case be sufficient?

Multiple calls to Delta all say the same thing - bag (gun case) must be under 62 inches. But this rule was in place last month when I went to Canada and none of the other hunters reported an oversized charge??

For clarification to your reply, I am aware of the weight restriction of 50 lbs. Need some help with your recent experience.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Spike

Gun cases are subject to the weight limits (normally 50 lbs) and to overweght charges, but are not subject to reasonable dimensional limits. The following policy from NWA is more or less typical:

Northwest accepts one of the following in lieu of one piece of baggage included in the baggage allowance:
  • One (1) rifle case containing no more than four (4) rifles/shotguns, one (1) shooting mat, one (1) noise suppressor and tools.
  • One (1) pistol case containing no more than five (5) handguns, one (1) scope, one (1) noise suppressor and tools. When checked piece containing guns is in excess of weight allowance, appropriate excess charges apply.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Send your "stuff" ground if the hunt is important to you !
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I ran into the same problem this past spring turkey season. I did some research and found that that SouthWest Airlines still allows two bags (no charge) and a gun case is considered sporting equipment and NOT subjected tot he oversize charge. I took a double rifle Pelican case and didn't pay an extra fee along with another piece of luggage plus my carry on. If you can fly SouthWest I would definetely do it because of this. All the other airlines were roughly $80-130 extra fee for each way.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Spike

Sheridan, as with most hunters, the hunt is important. What I am trying to get is clarification on gun case size as it relates to the airlines' luggage restrictrions. Ron Duval is correct, I posted the exact same question on the Africa hunting website. If these are "sister web-sites" my apologies for the duplication.

The issue is this: I need to buy a gun case for a trip to Africa next year. I would prefer to buy a "normal" sized gun case and not a "break down" case. A break down case would come in "undersized" but I don't want to take my gun apart. However, the dimensions of a normal gun case exceed the 62" maximum requirement listed by the airlines - and are therefore subject to an "oversize" fee of $175.00 for each leg of the flight. That means you would have to pay $350 in extra fees!!! As I stated in the original post, after multiple calls to Delta's 800 number, all of the representatives tell me the 62" policy would apply to a gun case. However, on my recent trip to Canada and talking with all the bird hunters on the plane, all had normal sized gun cases and no one reported paying an extra fee for being oversized!! That being said, either the Delta representatives on the phone are all wrong (and I've made 4 seperate phone calls) or the policy is not being enforced at the check in counter??

I figured I would ask real hunters who travel with their gun what their experience has been over the past year or so. I have a suspision that the Delta reps on the phone are giving me incorrect info. Since I live in Atlanta - the world's busiest airport - and am over an hour away, going by and asking an agent at the counter is not exactly convenient.

As for the response by flips2, I think he may be correct because golf clubs are exempt from the 62" size restriction. Golf clubs are sporting equipment. The golf club size restriction is clearly discussed on the Delta website. There are no comments about size for a gun case on Delta's website.

Does anyone else have any experience in air travel with their firearm?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try this then;

http://www.pelican-case.com/1750.html

Good hunting.................!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

We just returned to NC from a hunt in Texas We used regular stainless full sized long gun cases. Here's the information that we went by:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...e/firearms.jsp

Checking our guns in was real easy. It only took a few minutes.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Spike

Three friends of mine just went to Canada two days ago and all of them had gun cases that were over the 62" size restrictrion. None of them were charged an extra fee. So, my conclusion from the posts on this board and the Africa hunting forum is that gun cases get a pass from the size restriction. They must fall under the "sporting goods" category and are not charged based on size. I think the phone reps I mentioned earlier have given me bad information as it doesn't seem to apply. Thanks for all the posts!

Good hunting!