Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
First elk bagged in Tennesee in 150 years... >

First elk bagged in Tennesee in 150 years...

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

First elk bagged in Tennesee in 150 years...

Old 10-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Smile First elk bagged in Tennesee in 150 years...

Tennessee held it's first elk hunt this week with 5 tags drawn. All the hunters have bagged an elk. Alas, I was not one of the ones drawn. The number of tags will gradually climb as the herd grows more.

First state elk harvest in nearly 150 years

First managed elk hunt completed

One guy got his elk at 7:30am on the first day of the 5 day season. Talk about a short hunt after all that anticipation!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

That's pretty cool. It's great to see elk being re-established back East and maybe one day it won't be 1:2600 drawing odds.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Spike

Congrat's on your hunt!
Elk are hearty critters, they will do well almost anywhere they can be left alone.
They are as easy to produce as cattle, but a way cooler beast.
it's good they are putting time into the management for all the eastern boys to hunt.
I feel bad for all the folks that hunt, yet never had opportunity for elk.

BIG BULLS RULE!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have read recently that Virginia is also looking into repopulating elk in their state.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by xd9x19
I have read recently that Virginia is also looking into repopulating elk in their state.
That would be great!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations to Tennessee for giving out some elk permits. I am in neighboring Kentucky and we still have very few permits here, but the elk herd is growing a lot.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ajstrider
Congratulations to Tennessee for giving out some elk permits. I am in neighboring Kentucky and we still have very few permits here, but the elk herd is growing a lot.
Well, there were only 5 available this year...really 4 as one was put up for auction on ebay.

This may not be an annual event for the near future, but I hope the herd will grow enough to warrant it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM
bigcountry

I am originally from Pike County, Ky, and heard VA said they do not want the elk there and letting folks tag em as deer? Anyone heard that? Not too many has made its way down there.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Yep Virginia supposedly does not want elk. The regs state that if one wanders over the border it can be shot and checked using a deer tag. There is a discussion going on now to change the policy.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ations/elk.asp

Between 1998 and 2001, Kentucky released 1,557 elk as part of an ambitious restoration program, and the population in Kentucky is now close to 11,000. The restoration area borders Virginia along Buchanan, Dickenson, Wise, and Lee County. Dispersing and reproducing elk in Southwest Virginia present management challenges and opportunities. 30 elk have been reported to check stations since 2000.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/WILDLIF...entprogram.asp

I'm sure that some of these "escapees" were probably from Tennessee also.

Mitch
Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Spike

They did that just north of me in PA and the elk are doing great. I was just up last weekend listening to them and taking pictures its a really nice sight. The herd is about 800-1000 strong usually 300 or so are harvested in 06 a 425in bull was shot.