Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Which would you choose........ >

Which would you choose........

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Which would you choose........

Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Remmy243
I can see your point but one has to be comfortable with the weapon they are shooting as well.
Listen I'm really not trying to rattle your cages and I really do agree that being able to shoot your rifle well is very important.

Now again I'm not trying to call anyone out or rattle anyones cage but when ever this discussion comes up it turns into a "less filling", "tastes great" argument. The ironic thing is the point of those commercials was to get viewers to understand that both were true about that particular brand of adult beverage. I'm only suggesting the same thing as those commercials did in this case.

Shot placement is a very important elelment, extremely important. I'm only advocating that caliber (I prefer to say cartridge but let's not get hung up on semantics), bullet weight, and bullet type are also important and too much emphasis shouldn't be place on shot placement because it leads us down a path where the other above mentioned elements are no longer important.

Scoony is your situation you say shot placement is EVERYTHING but then recommend a cartridge. I hope you see that is contradictory in itself by nature.

Hunting isn't bench shooting fellas and if you hit the shoulder or even a rib at an angle of a big bull elk (off by a few inches in your placement) you'll see a clear distinction start to appear in cartridges, bullet weight, and type. You can't be perfect everytime. But just so I cover all basis nothing will be sufficient in a really poor shot either. AGAIN I BELIEVE SHOT PLACEMENT IS VERY IMPORTANT, JUST NOT EVERYTHING.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Apples and Oranges, rather be huntin. Shot placement with any caliber is critical. No matter what the cartridge is if you hit the animal poorly you are in for a long track, or much worse a lost animal.
Yes, the choice of caliber is important, depending upon what game animal is being persued, however given that many of the calibers used today are so versatile, it matters little what is used and more where the bullet is placed to make a fast, clean kill.

I am very comfortable with the 7mm Ruger I posted about, as it is what I shoot. I know exactly where that bullet will strike everytime I squeeze the trigger. IMO, caliber is a personal choice for each hunter.

As a matter of ETHICS, shot placement is not. Shot placement IS EVERYTHING. We may agree to disagree, but, I believe that a poorly placed shot is among the worst things we can do as hunters.
Just to reiterate sconny we aren't necessarily disagreeing about placement. We are only disagreeing that caliber (cartridge) and even bullets aren't as important.

When ever I bring this up people always respond with an argument about how poor shooting is bad and doesn't make up for a large caliber. On that point we agree 100% and I'm not sure why people infer that I'm saying that is true. I'm only saying I believe there is more the equation.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

.300 Win Mag
Old 10-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
If you had to choose 1 big game rifle from everything from deer to bear what rifle and caliber would it be?
Rather-be-hunting, I think we are hitting our heads against the same wall, from opposite sides.

We agree that shot placement does not make up for caliber, nor does caliber make up for poor shooting. I think that we have been hitting the same target from different benches.

As for my recomendation being contradictory, yes that was intentional. I was simply answering what the OP was asking, with the qualifyer that caliber will not solve everything.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Hey sconny, I apologize if I misunderstood your original point. Happy hunting to you buddy!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest, I really only use one rifle. For some reason, I'm most accurate with my savage 300 win mag when compared to my other large caliber weapons. I've yet to have any animal run off when shot by the 300. Everything I've taken has gone straight down when hit with the 300. Now, that's not to say that I couldn't make a poor shot and lose one, but it has yet to happen.

I guess I just am extremely confident that a well placed shot from the 300 win mag is a recipe for bringing game home.

In short, I would not feel outgunned hunting big bears with a 300 win mag, or any large game animal in NA for that matter. There are other calibers that could do the same thing, but the 300 win mag has my vote.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to go with a .338Win mag. I love mine. I even used it this year for antelope.....worked great. I am just so confindent in myself with it...it is always my gun of choice when headed out!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

300 WSM is my choice if I could only have one gun for everything.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

06 if I could only have one gun. Plenty of factory ammo available everywhere and loads from varmit to elk sized game. It isn't enough if you are hunting dangerous game though.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

300 win mag. Plenty of kinetic energy to handle any situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.