Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Gutless field dressing!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by charlie brown
Plan to do that with my deer this year. But handling 200 lbs of elk meat is a different story in 85 degree heat!
All the more reason to leave the bones in the field.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Spike

You can't leave evidence of sex attached to one quarter and check it that way, like the penis sheath, or part of the skin from the udder
Oh yes, you can easily keep evidence of sex attached to the hind quarters. I've been doing it since I first tried it with antelope in '84.

I also carry a "weight lifter's" belt in my daypack. That helps support my back with all of that bending over.

Last edited by Magic; 09-29-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 PM
DCN
Spike

I have boned elk for years now. It is amazingly easy and quick. I carry a new plastic painter's tarp in my backpack. You can lay that out and put the quarters on it when removed. That way you can bone the meat without getting it dirty, put it in a game bag, and you're only packing out pure meat. To do the boning, just skin the animal feet to back, then roll it over and repeat. The quarters all come off with just a knife. To get at the tenderloins, so as not to even have to open the gut cavity at all, I have a small hatchet that I carry. You just pop the ribs close to the back - it's easy to reach in and cut out the meat.
Last fall, my brother in law shot a bull right at dark. We had him boned and back at camp (which included a 20 minute drive in the Ranger) in just over 2 hours. I carry a large cooler with me (live in Arizona and even in November the daytime temperatures where we hunt can be in the 70s and will ruin meat in no time). By boning, you can keep the meat on ice and no spoilage. We hunted for another 3 days before we even went home. The beauty of this too is that we kept the meat on ice for another week or so (I always age for 10 days - 2 weeks). By putting the meat in the cooler tipped up so the water drains - block ice underneath and on top, it will be kept at a perfect aging temperature. The worst thing you can do to meat in my opinion is to freeze it right away. After aging, just cut it up, double wrap in freezer paper and you're done (no processing costs - with an elk these can be substantial). Finally, boning eliminates any risk of chronic wasting disease because you're not cutting into spinal tissue, etc.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

I've done elk this way for years. We did a moose a couple of weeks ago. We carry several cotton bags that we put the meat in as we cut it off.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, it was pretty easy. After I cut the back straps off, I just very carefully cut into the gut cavity while she was on her side, and worked into the tenderloins and cut them out. Worked pretty good.

Mo matter how many times I read on how to get the loins out, I guess I'll have to see it because I can't picture it. I don't have a lot od experience with big game either so that is probably part of the problem. Just one elk under my belt. Are the loins only connected on each end? I don't remember from last year.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The loins are connected all the way through. One thing to remember is that the points on the spine actually cover them up. They start right about the last couple ribs and go back from there. I too was having a hard time picturing it, then I did it, and it was pretty simple.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

im going to have to give this a try this year, if/when i stick something!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

The loins are connected all the way through. One thing to remember is that the points on the spine actually cover them up. They start right about the last couple ribs and go back from there. I too was having a hard time picturing it, then I did it, and it was pretty simple.

That description helps. Thanks! Hopefully in 2 1/2 weeks I'll be able to put it to practical use.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spaniel,

You can't leave evidence of sex attached to one quarter and check it that way, like the penis sheath, or part of the skin from the udder?

Luckily here, all we have to keep is the scalp and antlers or horns, and keep it along with the meat. Interesting how game laws are different in each state.

Later,

Marcial
Nope. The deer may not be dismembered until after check-in. This is not a bad issue, in most places in the state you'd never have to drag far to a vehicle or it's open fields where you can get a cart in. Nothing like out west.

But on that one particular property I hunt, there is zero access, I would only shoot a trophy back there.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gutless here too. I even do it that way with deer and pigs down on my hunting property that I can drive right up to. I keep meaning to make a table just for skinning and quartering them at my campsite to save me from bending over them. I've done a few pigs on my tailgate and that saves the back a little. I skin one side then remove the quarters and backstrap and other decent meat (the neck has quite a bit of good stew meat on it) then flip them over and repeat. I generallly get the tenderloin, but on some smaller pigs I don't bother with it.

Here's the last pig that I did that way - http://padens.com/v-web/gallery/album07/piggie_half I even took the ribs off that one. You can also see how tiny a pigs lungs are and how they are nearly completely covered by their front leg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.