HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   How not to call elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/304243-how-not-call-elk.html)

Blackelk 09-19-2009 06:17 PM

How not to call elk

I've been up in the high country of Colorado trying to find one of those elusive 30" mule deer. Well anyway I've been keying in on people calling elk in the woods. So here's a little example of exactly not how to call elk.

I was up in front of two guys coming up the canyon. First they'd call and then trash some tree's with sticks. Sound pretty good huh? The first time they did it I even picked a spot and watched to see if I could see the bull. I saw them alright in mossy oak walking in the open through the grass. Then from 400yds away I heard them talking. I was like you got to be kidding me. Well every 10 minutes or so they'd bugle and thrash around. Then walk out into the opening's and look around while talking in loud enough voices I could almost understand the words from hundreds of yards away from me. I continued to keep moving up the canyon as they expertly called elk and exposed themselves while talking.

I got my entertainment for the morning. I'm sure glad I wasn't elk hunting I probably would have been a bit upset at the moment. Little did they know elk were moving up in front of me all the way to the top of the canyon in the dark timber. I did get to see the bull in that bunch he was a nice 5x6, he had seven cows with him. Oh by the way the elk didn't make a peep. They just quietly walked over the mountain.

I ask a logical question to most. Why do you think the elk have moved their main rut into the two and half weeks in between seasons? :hit:

wingchaser_labs 09-19-2009 07:40 PM

Haha yeah some people can't call. We had lots bugling when we were out there opening week. Just chasin some cows heardin em up really. Most bugling we have ever heard that first week in the 7 years I've been out. Was a fun trip. Here is what your lookin for. This big guy is still out there runnin around, well maybe he is still alive. Wish I had drawn a tag. Had him bedded at 60 yards the second day I saw him. Good luck. WCL

Howler 09-20-2009 05:16 PM

The rut is in full swing right now for sure, one of my buddys witnessed to cows getting bred. BUT, you hit it on the nose about calling. By this morning, the elk were mums the word, tight lipped like no tomorrow. The amount of bugling, mostly human caused that I heard in the last three days was mind boggling. Some guys bugled the exact same cadence and the exact same notes every time he bugled. Boy, that'll fool'em. Guys stopping thier trucks along the road, getting out and bugling several times and then getting in and driving down the road aways to do it all again. Another fool proff way of killing an elk!! Thank god black powder season is closed, maybe by next weekend, the woods will be back to normal with a lot fewer hunters, archery and bp included, and maybe, just maybe...it'll be my turn to stick one. So far, 3 guys of 8 have filled thier tags. One cow and two decent 6 X's.

rather_be_huntin 09-22-2009 12:51 PM

I have never understood the talking thing. I go out with my stepdad sometimes and I will do everything in my power to be quiet. We'll get sat down watching a watering hole or something and look over at me and start talking in an out loud voice and I just want to knock him over the head. I seriously don't get it. No wonder those elk were staying ahead of you, they could probably hear them talking better than you could.

On a nother note I never, ever, ever pull out my bugle while hunting unless I hear a bull bugle first. The first call out of my pocket is always a hot cow call. few poeple do that and if there is a bull in the area they almost always respond if the bull is rutting. There is WAY too much emphasis on bugling by hunters. If a bull already has a harem half the time they'll just round up their cows and leave because they don't want the competition. Cow calls make much more sense, especially hot cows. Bugles have their place, they are just over used.

Blackelk 09-22-2009 05:07 PM

Ding Ding

I think Rather be huntin just won the award. Your exactly right in what you say.

Colorado Cajun 09-24-2009 01:51 PM

We camped about 1/4 mile off the main FS road on a side road. One afternoon after coming back to camp for a mid afternoon shower I heard a car door slam then a bugle on the main road. I answered with a light bugle back. After another series like that I heard a cow call so I answered back with a cow call.

Then I hear the car door slam and next thing I knew there was a Totota 4 runner coming around the corner and they stopped and turned around as soon as they saw me with my call in hand, in camp, and laughing.

I bugled while hunting twice last week and that was at an animal. Atleast I think it was. The animals definitly shut down and people were definitly out of hand.

ndncreek 09-24-2009 07:44 PM

i've been called in by people a couple of times and it SUCKS..... i walked about 100 yards below the last guy and let out a real good bugle, you should have seen him jump, after a couple of minutes i walked out and waved to him..sucker....TEACH HIM TO CALL ME IN LIKE A LOVE SICK BULL......lol

Colorado Luckydog 09-24-2009 07:55 PM

Do you have anything to say besides trashing hunters doing their best??? We all had to start some where. It sounds like they were doing some things right. Are you sure you didn't spook the elk yourself??? Do you have anything positive to post, like your mulie kill??

No way you heard them from 400 yards. They couldn't even yell that loud. I think your story is a bit far fetched.

Blackelk 09-25-2009 05:09 AM

Colorado Luckydog

Well you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Yeah I'll bash idiots for educating elk even further than they already are. FYI info sound carries very well in the mountains maybe you haven't spent enough time in them to find out. I agree we all start out somewhere in the hunting world but common sense will tell you talking loud enough to be heard from near 400yds is just plain stupid. And repetitive bugling isn't going to help you get an elk if you keep exposing yourself in the open. Most archery hunters think this is predator calling instead of elk hunting. Sure use a bugle locate a bull shut your mouth and go kill it. That's common sense. Doing their best? I'd hate to see their worst.

BTW if you want to get on my case here ya go. I missed my buck the last day and didn't get another chance. Now you can trash me all ya want.

When you have to dig elk out of the timber like ticks remember people's lack of education caused it not the elk.

rather_be_huntin 09-28-2009 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 3453148)
No way you heard them from 400 yards. They couldn't even yell that loud. I think your story is a bit far fetched.

I have no dog in this fight but when in the hills and everything is silent you can hear someone talk out loud very clearly at 400 yds if there is a clear path between you. You can almost hear what they are saying. Especially in the deep canyons of the west, they act like sound smplifiers.

You sure your hearing isn't maybe a bit weak there buddy?