Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st Elk hunt - Unit 54 CO

Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Spike

We'll be on the road at 5:30 this Friday......I won't be worth too much at work this week...........
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

asines good luck and have a blast. Don't try and do too much to soon (climbing in elevation). You will get winded - often. But elk hunting is one of the best times ive ever had and i've only gone twice. Layers is top notch advice. It seems very cool in the shade (dark tember) and warm in the sun. I changed back and forth quite frequently. I saw 2 bears 2 weeks ago when hunting. One about 10 yards. So if you feel like it, take the bear spray, we were archery hunting so firearm was not an option. Do what ever makes you comfortable. Most of all be safe and have a great time.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by onebigelk
asines good luck and have a blast. Don't try and do too much to soon (climbing in elevation). You will get winded - often. But elk hunting is one of the best times ive ever had and i've only gone twice. Layers is top notch advice. It seems very cool in the shade (dark tember) and warm in the sun. I changed back and forth quite frequently. I saw 2 bears 2 weeks ago when hunting. One about 10 yards. So if you feel like it, take the bear spray, we were archery hunting so firearm was not an option. Do what ever makes you comfortable. Most of all be safe and have a great time.
Thanks for the advice. The only thing I'm NOT looking forward to is the 30 hour drive. We go straight through.....rotate 3 drivers. The trip out won't be as bad.......coming home though.......that could be REAL bad!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Our trip from MO wasn't quite as far, about 20 hours, but like you said the trip out their is full of anticipation so you shouldn't have much trouble. But be very carefull on the way back you probably will be exhausted and those last several hours are butal unless you stop and all spend a few hours or a night sleeping, BE CAREFULL.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by onebigelk
Our trip from MO wasn't quite as far, about 20 hours, but like you said the trip out their is full of anticipation so you shouldn't have much trouble. But be very carefull on the way back you probably will be exhausted and those last several hours are butal unless you stop and all spend a few hours or a night sleeping, BE CAREFULL.
Yep.....without a doubt the drive home is the most dangerous part of the trip.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by asines
Any advice on the best OTC medication if it should occur?
Well if you end up having some mild symptoms like a mild headache then you just need more water and possibly a little Ibuprofen. If that doesn't help the only cure is losing altitude. You'll have to drop down low enough that your symptoms disappear. Like has been said though you'll probably be fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Spike

Well, we head out tomorrow morning. I'm getting some loose ends tied up here at work before I go. The truck will be packed and ready to go by 7pm tonight. I'll try and post my recap when I get back!