Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st Elk hunt - Unit 54 CO

Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alsatian
I have the Meindl Perfekt hunters and love them. I had no opportunity to break them in before a brief backpacking trip in 2006 and figured I would just suffer through with whatever pain ensued, but there was no break-in needed. No kidding. Very unusual. I say this as someone who just did about 35 miles of break-in (2 miles and 3 miles at a stretch -- more would have led to blisters, likely) on a new pair of backpacking boots. Good boots. I haven't noticed that they keep my feet any warmer than uninsulated backpacking boots (they have about 400 grams of thinsulate, supposedly), but I guess I can live with that.

Sure, the .257 Weatherby Magnum is not the cartridge of choice for Elk, as you have acknowledged, but it will take Elk. Good advice I've read from others applies to your use of your .257 -- shoot until the Elk drops to the ground, don't watch to see what is going to happen before reloading and shooting again.
Those Meindl's are UNBELIEVABLE......bar none the best thing I've ever put on my foot. Here's the deal......my brother purchased a pair of Danner Elk Hunters 2 years ago before he made his first trip to Colorado. He fell in love with them. Well, since my dad & I needed a pair of good boots, we followed suit. We went down to Cabela's, tried them on, and they felt great. (I tried several boots on that day to convince myself that those boots weren't worth $300....but they did feel good. Interesting enough though, I passed on the Meindl's because I was running out of time and already had my mind made up!) Well, my dad ended up going to Colorado last year.....he echoed the same opinions that my brother had.....he loved them. Well, my first field test came in pheasant season that same year. I wore them for 15 minutes.......and the back of my heels were bloody......literally. Going on any kind of uphill profile made the heel guard rub like something fierce on my heel. It made me sick to think that I spent $300 on those things. After a few more tests, including adding heel cushions, moleskin, insoles, etc., I returned them to Cabela's. No problem. This time, I tried various different boots......and then I finally tried the Meindl Perfekt Hunters. Game, set, match. I never even had to debate on this one. These boots have been broke in from day one.......no issues whatsoever. No "hotspots" or odd creases. My dad & brother get tired of me going on & on about these things, but the simple fact is that they are head & shoulders above those Danner Elk Hunters......at least in my opinion anyways.

As far as the .257 Weatherby.......I'll be slinging lead as safely and as frequently as possible!

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
Your enthusiam is contagious and I almost wish I could tag along with your group, it just sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I really like the week of scouting and FISHING! Two weeks of straight outdoors a long ways from home sounds like a blast.

Reading your posts I think you'll be in plenty good shape. You can never be in too good of shape but you will need to acclimate yourself to the higher elevation and this is very critical and has nothing to do with how good of shape you're in. Just make sure you spend at least 24 hours at 7000 to 8000 ft doing very little before heading up beyond that. Don't get to your cabin and start doing your workout in anticipation. Again give your body 24 hours to acclimate below 8,000. Altitude sickness will ruin your whole 2 weeks so make sure you heed this advice.

Enjoy your trip and make sure you let us know how it goes!
My whole approach is that sure, I can probably go out there without much cardiovascular preparation, take my time, and have a good time. But I plan on hunting HARD. Obviously knowing your body's limits and taking heed is a wise thing to do......but if I can increase my success chances by being in a little better shape, then I plan on doing that. I'm hovering around the 250 mark right now, but I can still run a sub 9:00 mile. It isn't blistering my any means (nor is it worthy of any kind of bragging), but for those of you who know what it's like to carry around that kind of weight, that's not bad.

Our cabin and the surrounding low-lying areas are right around 9,000 feet. Sometime during the first week we will definitely be climbing Carbon Peak which tops out around 12,000 ft. Once we get those first couple days under our belt I think we can take it up a notch!

Last edited by asines; 09-29-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you have good maps and a compass and know how to use them. Use both the maps and GPS when taking readings and keep track of where you are. If the GPS goes out suddenly (dropped, or dead battery) then you'll have a good idea of where you are and how to get where you want to go. If you wait until it dies to look at the map you may not be able to figure out where you are for certain.

Have fun.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Talondale
Make sure you have good maps and a compass and know how to use them. Use both the maps and GPS when taking readings and keep track of where you are. If the GPS goes out suddenly (dropped, or dead battery) then you'll have a good idea of where you are and how to get where you want to go. If you wait until it dies to look at the map you may not be able to figure out where you are for certain.

Have fun.
Well, the area where we'll be hunting is surrounded by three mountain peaks that are about 3-4 miles apart........it's basically a big triangle. Supposedly (from the guys who've been in the area multiple times) you can pretty much locate yourself by just using those peaks as a reference. I wouldn't mind taking some contour maps though....just as a backup. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by asines

My whole approach is that sure, I can probably go out there without much cardiovascular preparation, take my time, and have a good time. But I plan on hunting HARD. Obviously knowing your body's limits and taking heed is a wise thing to do......but if I can increase my success chances by being in a little better shape, then I plan on doing that. I'm hovering around the 250 mark right now, but I can still run a sub 9:00 mile. It isn't blistering my any means (nor is it worthy of any kind of bragging), but for those of you who know what it's like to carry around that kind of weight, that's not bad.

Our cabin and the surrounding low-lying areas are right around 9,000 feet. Sometime during the first week we will definitely be climbing Carbon Peak which tops out around 12,000 ft. Once we get those first couple days under our belt I think we can take it up a notch!
I think you understand what I'm saying but I couldn't tell by your post for sure. Again to properly acclimate you must get your red blood cell count up. This has nothing to do with your fitness level. To do it properly you should spend 24 hrs with little excertion at 7,000 to 8,000 ft. (I guess you'll be at 9,000 ft) You should also avoid alcohol in the first 24 hrs. I've just seen a lot of people get sick and ruin their hunt. Symptoms of altitude sickness include lightheadness, headaches, fatigue, naseau, insomnia, among others. You'll probably be fine but just trying to help.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
I think you understand what I'm saying but I couldn't tell by your post for sure. Again to properly acclimate you must get your red blood cell count up. This has nothing to do with your fitness level. To do it properly you should spend 24 hrs with little excertion at 7,000 to 8,000 ft. (I guess you'll be at 9,000 ft) You should also avoid alcohol in the first 24 hrs. I've just seen a lot of people get sick and ruin their hunt. Symptoms of altitude sickness include lightheadness, headaches, fatigue, naseau, insomnia, among others. You'll probably be fine but just trying to help.
Yep....I gotcha! Thanks for the advice. I don't drink, so that won't be a problem. I plan on taking LOTS of water along. Any advice on the best OTC medication if it should occur?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
If you get substantial snow, yes I like my gators just for that purpose.
Very good item to have. Duct tape works too, it got me by last year with a foot of snow. Now I have gators.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
Very good item to have. Duct tape works too, it got me by last year with a foot of snow. Now I have gators.
I ended up purchasing a pair last week. You never know I guess.....
Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Spike

Living in Colorado, I must say you have already received lots of topnotch advice.

Only thing I can add (or may have missed) is make sure you dress in layers. In October it can be in the 30's at night and either peak in the 50's or go as high as the mid 60's. Lot's of people have had a miserable day out here because they think a cold night / morning means a cold day.

The thinner air allows for a large temperature swing. Also the sun is much stronger at higher elevations. The inside of a car will get as warm on a 60 degree day as a car at low elevations on an 80 degree day. So have a pack you can put your peeled layers into.

All the advice on water is crucial, as is the advice on acclimating to the altitude. Cardio conditioning is important as it makes O2 usage more efficient (probably know this from your working out). I would highly recommend switching between steady as you go cardio with interval cardio training. The interval will push you to an anaerobic limit, which will get you there faster.

And yes, several days to acclimate will help raise your red blood cell count.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt. Crested Butte is a beautiful area.

And if you get your elk early on, fall fly fishing can be fantastic out here, but the temperatures keep many people away.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

With reference to conditioning, mountains, acclimitization . . . if you've been to the high mountains before, you know what that's all about. If you haven't been to the high mountains, you have already been advised about what can happen but realize that for most people that doesn't happen -- most people don't experience anything more severe than a mild headache and many don't experience any such symptoms. Of course, the thin air will have an impact, there is no getting around that. Don't be afraid to move at the pace that suits you. Some people go super slow but never stop. I like to move faster and then have to stop periodically to catch my breath. It probably doesn't make too much difference one way or the other. The biggest advantage, as far as I'm concerned, about conditioning isn't that it saves you the problem of getting out of breath -- I wouldn't count on that effect -- but that it builds your stamina so you can keep at it all day long and for a week at a time. Without proper conditioning, many people "crash." They just reach the point where they throw in the towel and they can't keep going. It sounds like your conditioning efforts will prevent this from happening. Good luck on your hunt.

Since this is your first elk hunt, keep in mind that it probably won't be your last elk hunt. Be mindful that you will make mistakes -- probably -- which you will learn from and benefit from on your next elk hunt. It would be strange if elk hunting were the one human enterprise for which accumulated experience did not carry any advantages.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by quietman
Living in Colorado, I must say you have already received lots of topnotch advice.

Only thing I can add (or may have missed) is make sure you dress in layers. In October it can be in the 30's at night and either peak in the 50's or go as high as the mid 60's. Lot's of people have had a miserable day out here because they think a cold night / morning means a cold day.

The thinner air allows for a large temperature swing. Also the sun is much stronger at higher elevations. The inside of a car will get as warm on a 60 degree day as a car at low elevations on an 80 degree day. So have a pack you can put your peeled layers into.

All the advice on water is crucial, as is the advice on acclimating to the altitude. Cardio conditioning is important as it makes O2 usage more efficient (probably know this from your working out). I would highly recommend switching between steady as you go cardio with interval cardio training. The interval will push you to an anaerobic limit, which will get you there faster.

And yes, several days to acclimate will help raise your red blood cell count.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt. Crested Butte is a beautiful area.

And if you get your elk early on, fall fly fishing can be fantastic out here, but the temperatures keep many people away.
I'm planning on a wide range of temperatures......layers, layers, layers. I'm sure the morning trek up to the top will definitely keep the blood flowing and reduce the need for heavy garments. I'm expecting to encounter anything from 0 to 70.

I've implemented more HIIT (high intensity interval training) type cardio as my trip has come closer. The initial low intensity, long duration cardio was primarily for some fat loss. I'm feeling pretty confident right now about my conditioning. All I have to do it seems is to take my time, keep pounding down the water, and keep something in my stomach. I think it'll work out pretty good.

Originally Posted by Alsatian
With reference to conditioning, mountains, acclimitization . . . if you've been to the high mountains before, you know what that's all about. If you haven't been to the high mountains, you have already been advised about what can happen but realize that for most people that doesn't happen -- most people don't experience anything more severe than a mild headache and many don't experience any such symptoms. Of course, the thin air will have an impact, there is no getting around that. Don't be afraid to move at the pace that suits you. Some people go super slow but never stop. I like to move faster and then have to stop periodically to catch my breath. It probably doesn't make too much difference one way or the other. The biggest advantage, as far as I'm concerned, about conditioning isn't that it saves you the problem of getting out of breath -- I wouldn't count on that effect -- but that it builds your stamina so you can keep at it all day long and for a week at a time. Without proper conditioning, many people "crash." They just reach the point where they throw in the towel and they can't keep going. It sounds like your conditioning efforts will prevent this from happening. Good luck on your hunt.

Since this is your first elk hunt, keep in mind that it probably won't be your last elk hunt. Be mindful that you will make mistakes -- probably -- which you will learn from and benefit from on your next elk hunt. It would be strange if elk hunting were the one human enterprise for which accumulated experience did not carry any advantages.
Most definitiely won't be the last. I'm sure I'll come back with some "I wish that I would have" stories, but like you said, they will only help me in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.