Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Should I change/postpone my elk hunt? weather...? >

Should I change/postpone my elk hunt? weather...?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Should I change/postpone my elk hunt? weather...?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Should I change/postpone my elk hunt? weather...?

I know 10day weather forecasts aren't exactly accurate, but I'm heading to MT, and they're calling for highs of, 79, 78, 87, 88, 84 over the next 5 days or so, thinking about hunting antelope first then hitting up elk in a week or so? or just waiting at least a few more days hoping the weather will break cooler to 70's or lower, but mid week coming up is suppose to be some prime bugling, though with this high of heat I'm not sure how active they'd be, nor how active I'd be in this heat?

lil help/advice? This is a DIY archery, so changing my plans wouldn't be too much trouble.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

go out and get yourself on the elk, just to hear them bad boys a screaming and fighting get the ole ticker a pumping, wish that i was going with ya. good luck and take lots of pics.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

It wouldn't stop me from going, but it may change my tactics a little. In 1997, I shot a bull at high noon and the temps were not so favorable. You just never know.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

If your prepared, go for it. Don't let a little weather kill it, the elk are still there.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you got the time and resouces to hunt elk for the same numbers of days, whether now or later, and be able to squeeze antelope in between, then I'd squeeze the antelope in. Seems only reasonable. although hunting elk is exciting anytime and you gotta go when you gotta go and always make the best of it, there's something to said about big game hunting when the weather is a little crisp.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been keeping an eye on the weather report, everyday it has been changing, hotter! now it's suppose to be 91 on wednesday, I'm going to hold off a few more days, may pursue antelope prior to the elk trip, but I think just going to wait, hunt elk, then go after some goats after.

Made a call out there, local guy said, it's hot! and that he'd hold off. Also would be worried about getting an elk out before spoiling in 90degree heat.

I'm still gonna give the hunt a good whack though, just going to postpone the trip 5 days or so, still will have the same # of days afield.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about Montanna but the bulls are screaming and the rut is on here. I'm on my way up today for a morning hunt.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Been keeping an eye on the weather report, everyday it has been changing, hotter! now it's suppose to be 91 on wednesday, I'm going to hold off a few more days, may pursue antelope prior to the elk trip, but I think just going to wait, hunt elk, then go after some goats after.

Made a call out there, local guy said, it's hot! and that he'd hold off. Also would be worried about getting an elk out before spoiling in 90degree heat.

I'm still gonna give the hunt a good whack though, just going to postpone the trip 5 days or so, still will have the same # of days afield.
I have called in several bulls over the last week and half. Called in a 7x7 on an 80 degree day a few days ago. I am back out for a few days and my hunting is about over for the year. I am guiding for an outfitter going back in thursday in a different area, out for a few days, and back in thru Oct 5. By then, the rut will be cooling off and I have a loper hunt with the boy Oct10. As usual, my buddies get the elk and I do the calling.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Spike

I'm headed up this evening for a moose hunt in the morning, maybe some elk if we run into them.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

With the temps or not the rut is coming into prime time but like you said they will not too active during the day and you just change tactics a bit. With that being said you can still have success. Just get in the timber and do some agressive cow in heat calls and when you get close enough to a bull he"ll scream at you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.