Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New territory and could use some help?? >

New territory and could use some help??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New territory and could use some help??

Old 05-17-2003, 08:32 AM

Default New territory and could use some help??

I' m currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan with the USMC, but will be leaving in a couple of months for Yuma, AZ. I' m an avid bowhunter, but I' m not too familiar with the type of hunting in the Western states. I' m from Oklahoma so I' m not too sure if it' s the same or not. Was wondering if you guys could help me out and let me know the types of game and terrain I will be hunting, or maybe which parts of AZ or NM would be good hunting. I' ve been away for a couple of yrs and can' t wait to get back to it. This area is gonna be new to me so any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New territory and could use some help??

Some of the biggest elk are taken from AZ and NM. Antelope, mule deer, turkey, ibex, oryx, javelina, bighorn sheep, barbary sheep, black bear, cougar, and furbearers are hunted in NM. Go to www.gmfsh.state.nm.us . Good luck.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:07 PM

bspittman check your personal messages
Old 05-20-2003, 08:28 AM

BS-You will be close to some very good mule deer areas near Cibola, AZ. Hundreds of deer feed in the waterfowl refuge and then cross the road into the desert areas. Saw a ten point last year during goose season and have seen some great bucks in the area over the years. Lots of mountain lion around too feeding on deer and lost birds. I also elk hunt every year in either AZ or NM. Tough to get drawn in AZ and easier in NM. Turkey hunt NM as there are a lot of birds and it' s over the counter for $75 non-res. Good luck and welcome back.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the help guys...as you can see I' m not too familiar with the terrain. I really appreciate it.

Brad