Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!! >

Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Gold star for SWT
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that you're frustrated, but getting busted happens to the best hunters in the world from time to time. I'm sure you've been busted a time or two, whether you know it or not. I know that I have.

What gets me is that you're bitching about being within a few yards of a big elk and not getting a shot. Many of us will probably never get the opportunity to ever elk hunt in our lifetimes, but you whine about missing one opportunity when you are able to hunt elk regularly. I'd be ecstatic to draw a single cow tag in my lifetime and actually get to try to fill it.

That 7x7 is still out there, man. So quit your complaining about this other guy and go get him. You sound a lot like my dad. He never took me or my brother deer hunting because he didn't want us to mess up HIS hunt. It's a very selfish attitude, and as a result, I didn't hunt deer until well after I was an adult and on my own. I hope that I have more patience and understanding with my kids than my dad had with me.

Mike
Old 09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by driftrider
I understand that you're frustrated, but getting busted happens to the best hunters in the world from time to time. I'm sure you've been busted a time or two, whether you know it or not. I know that I have.

What gets me is that you're bitching about being within a few yards of a big elk and not getting a shot. Many of us will probably never get the opportunity to ever elk hunt in our lifetimes, but you whine about missing one opportunity when you are able to hunt elk regularly. I'd be ecstatic to draw a single cow tag in my lifetime and actually get to try to fill it.

That 7x7 is still out there, man. So quit your complaining about this other guy and go get him. You sound a lot like my dad. He never took me or my brother deer hunting because he didn't want us to mess up HIS hunt. It's a very selfish attitude, and as a result, I didn't hunt deer until well after I was an adult and on my own. I hope that I have more patience and understanding with my kids than my dad had with me.

Mike
Actually, based on the situation I was in, I doubt it would have turned out to be a shot opportunity. I knew that when I was shaking like a leaf on a tree when the big boy was standing on the other side of that tree. I was hoping for a break, not expecting one. That, however, is not the nature of my complaint, I thought I was clear about that.
As for being selfish, you are barking up the wrong tree. There was nothing selfish about my actions, and there never has been. I have dropped everything I was doing and helped folks pack out elk they got, including members on this board and never asked nor expected anything in return, and I would do it for you if you called. I have taken many folks out and called, tirelessly to get them an elk. I am calling, they are in front as shooter, again, i haver asked for nothing in return.
Finally, I am not lucky to be out here hunting elk. I made the choice to move out here and be in elk country. I made the choice to hunt often as I could, to read books, study tapes, watch videos, and practice in the woods. I made the choice to put it all on the line and start a business here knowing not a soul, all for the love of the hunt. Luck has nothing to do with it. I say this not to sound arrogant, but to let others know if an idiot like me can do it, so can all. You make your own luck. What I am is fortunate that the good lord saw fit to make such beautiful country, and I am humbled and awed by it.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by usa
forget about how long you have left to hunt, I'm working on 69 and we leave for a backpack bow elk hunt next week in Colorado, you don't give yourself or the young man enough credit,he learned more than he realizes and you upon reflection have also learned, sounds like a great experience,do yourself and the young man a favor take him back out and work to get him a bull you'll both profit from the trip, God speed your son in Irac, semper fi
Man, is this a pack in backpack hunt? At 69? If it is you are a freakin stud. I'm no candy azz, but this backpacking crap is rough, and I rather enjoy it. TXhunter58 is going in at 51, you guys are getting me jazzed up. I got my pack down in the high 40 lb range, but after lashing on some garmets, it ended up in the low 50ish range. Last year it was 62lbs and it like to killed me.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess what I was trying to say was that you took him under your wing, so to speak, and then all you can do is talk about how bad it messed up your hunt, then that does sound a little selfish. I'm not necessarily saying that you are a selfish person by nature, but that position in and of itself suggests a selfish attitude regarding this situation. I don't doubt that you help people selflessly. It's like saying "I'm not a sinner... except when I sin." I was drawing a comparison suggesting that you are being too hard on the guy. You didn't get a shot, you said, because he got busted by a calf and spooked the whole group, but then you say that you probably would have never got a shot anyway, so why are you so upset?

You say that you're angry that he missed or wounded the bull you called in, but forget that just because you called it, it was HIS shot. If you do this long enough, sooner or later you're going to make a bad shot. Using the 30 yard pin instead of the 20 yard pin, for a new hunter in front of his first bull elk, isn't exactly a death penalty offense. It's an easy mistake to make on the range, let alone in the field when you're all pumped up with adrenaline in such a situation. It happens. You say he was cavalier about it, and if that is the only reason you're mad, then I'd say you are justified. But if part of it is just because he made a bad shot, I think you're being too hard on him. FYI, my first and last year bow hunting I shot two does two mornings in a row, and didn't recover anything but a bloody arrow. I know one shot was good because I watched the fletching go through her. The other, I don't know, other than I know I hit her. But it was tall grass, and it started raining. **It happens. I felt sick for days, and haven't bowhunted since, but that's me.

Ultimately, I think that maybe you both owe each other an apology. Him for being inconsiderate, and you for being too harsh and unforgiving.

That's my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Mike
Old 09-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finally, I am not lucky to be out here hunting elk. I made the choice to move out here and be in elk country. I made the choice to hunt often as I could, to read books, study tapes, watch videos, and practice in the woods. I made the choice to put it all on the line and start a business here knowing not a soul, all for the love of the hunt. Luck has nothing to do with it. I say this not to sound arrogant, but to let others know if an idiot like me can do it, so can all. You make your own luck. What I am is fortunate that the good lord saw fit to make such beautiful country, and I am humbled and awed by it.
But from my perspective you are. I have too many ties to this part of the country to just move, as much as I might like too. And I'm a working class guy with a family and a wife that really can't work because of bad lower back problems. With one income, we struggle to get by much of the time. So in that sense, you are fortunate that circumstances allowed you to be able to do what you did, even if it took hard work and risk. I could probably do it too, but it would mean giving up more than I'd gain. Again, it's a matter of perspective.

Mike
Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think it was a good thing to take the young fellow out hunting. Although you didn't get one doesn't mean all was lost. Young hunters have to learn one way or another. I took my son on a deer hunt with me and the first year was terrible. He kept jumping on fallen trees and the like making more noise than a heard of elephants. I kept trying to get him to stop all that racket but no cigar.. 2 years ago on his last youth hunt he shot his first deer.. So although it can be quite frustrating but they can learn from thier mistakes. It takes some time out there for them to understand though.. Just maybe some place along the line this trip you had your young friend with you he will learn something from it all..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-12-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

As stated above, no one but the poster and the 23 yr old really know what went on during that hunt and they will have differing views on some of the same things. I take my hat off to the guy putting out to help someone else have a good hunting experience. I also have some respect for the kid who no doubt stepped outside of his comfort zone as well. We often make assumptions that are premature about people.

Something we all have to remember is that teaching and mentoring is a form of leadership. We set the example and we have to meet people where they are at. If they were ready to meet us where we are, they wouldn't need our mentoring and teaching. There is some sacrifice and a lot of patience to teaching another how to hunt. I've learned most of what I know from forums like this, reading, and through my own experience. I don't regret that, but would've been glad for some hands on teaching as well. I take things for granted that 10 years ago I didn't have a clue about.

Best wishes on the rest of the season.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like some of you guys that can't afford a full-blown guided hunt ought to set up a hunt with Muley. He obviously goes on some fun hunts and knows what he's doing. Muley, have you talked with this kid since then and has he figured out any more?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I agree the title of the post says it all, sorry but it does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.