HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Need a Horse ! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/30285-need-horse.html)

.358 05-16-2003 06:11 PM

Need a Horse !

A friend finally got enough bonus points for a trophy area near Glenwood Springs, Colorado. He would like to rent a horse and some pack stock for the trip. If anyone could give a name and number or somewhere to start he would be grateful. The guy is no rookie and tough as nails. He has been backpack elk hunting in Idaho for the past few years alone but would like to rent some horses for this trip. Thanks

ELKampMaster 05-16-2003 10:52 PM

RE: Need a Horse !

Sombrero Ranch - 303-442-0258 or 970-586-4577 --- They are all over up there!

$300 deposit (per 1 to 3 head), $325 each for the season, $1100 if the horse dies for any reason. Horse, saddle, blankets, bridle, halter are provided - you are responsible for the feed. They do NOT provide panniers, lashing ropes, scales, or mannies. They will deliver to the trailhead and pick up, rapid response to changes of plan via cell phone.

I take you at your word that your friend is up to wrangling his own string and all that goes with it -- toughness alone won' t do it. There is a big difference between going along and seeing it done versus doing it ALL yourself and making each little decision along the way -- ESPECIALLY with strange stock! BE FOREWARNED!

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM

ironranger 06-04-2003 08:47 AM

I' ve used Sombero Ranch for horses on two different occasions. I hunt north of Glenwood and they are just as Elkampmaster said. We just used them for packing gear and elk so we just walked them down into a canyon. I had heard some negatives comments about Sombero but I didn' t experience anything but positive. Chris in their Denver office was very helpful and the contract was straightforward. They delivered the horses right to our camp and the horses did what we wanted them to. We were also able to arrange for an early pickup as my hunting partner had a business deal that couldn' t wait and we had to leave a day early. Bring a cell phone for that. One thing that I learned quickly is that sudden movements are not a good thing around a horse and that no matter what they are unpredictable. I' ll rent from them again next year. I' m heading to Montana for a mule deer hunt and then I' m planning on bowhunting CO again next year. Good luck on your trip .358...

ELKampMaster 06-05-2003 08:04 AM

IronRanger,

I don' t know how a couple posts could be any more " on target" , right down to the area, the service, the cost, and the details. I never got a response or acknowledgement back. I see him advertising the same blurb on other forums -- still in quest of the " holy grail" . In northern Colorado, Sombrero IS the horse rental connection UNLESS you have a local connection with someone and they trust you with their stock which is a big IF. Folks aren' t going to rent you their stock for $5 and a handshake.

I think the resources required for a " big operations" elk hunt surprises most people! Who started the rumor that doing " way back in" elk hunt correctly is going to be quick, cheap and easy? NO, thats " bambi popping" in the local deer patch, where you can sleep in your own bed, eat breakfast in your own kitchen, drive out, pop him, grab him by the antlers, drag him back to the truck and be home in time for lunch and the afternoon football game. Tain' t the same!

When folks go to " do it all" themselves they start to appreciate why outfitters charge what they charge -- and they aren' t getting rich doing it either! I haven' t seen any elk outfitters in " America' s Top 100 Wealtiest" list.

On a seperate note, in my area, I enjoy visiting the local outfitter and the REPEAT non-resident hunters the most. During the scouting period just before opening day we put on a " banquet night" in our camp and have a gourmet meal around a " loooong" table and catch up with each other over the last year. These are some serious folks who have allocated the time and money and equipment and resources and commitment to do it right (Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, Missouri, and Mississippi). They make the majority of the resident " weekend fling" hunters which are so common look like amateurs.

Never Go Undergunned (or Under-Horsed)
EKM

ironranger 06-05-2003 08:40 PM

You got that right. I' ve only hunted 5 years out there thus far and managed to take home 2 bulls. Last fall I was within 100 yards of other hunters who shot bulls on two different days. Wrong place at the wrong time but that' s hunting for you. It' s definitely not easy hunting but I really enjoy the challenge. Next time, we may try a bow hunt for elk as I really feel that our area would be good. Anyone with a horse or two can get there but it keeps out the rest of them. We' ll probably rent two horses for the two of us and load up one with our gear. Then we can switch off riding and walking to our destination. Once we are there then we can both ride and hunt from there. I' m looking forward to a change of pace in hunting mulies in Montana this fall but I' m already looking forward to CO again.

Last fall we packed in an old canvas tent in with propane heat. I also have a softside cooler and use a " Seal a Meal" which allows me to cook meals in advance, fill the bags, seal them, and then freeze them. Then I just fill the cooler and put in a pound of dry ice. I take one aluminum pot and just boil water with bag in there. Then we don' t have any dishes and use paper plates. Works well considering we are usually a little under horsed. I' d like to rent one more but the price gets to be a factor so we make due with what we have.

I see you are from Centennial. I was hiking around in a wooded area in Minnesota here and found a frisbee. On the back of it, there was writing and it listed a church in Centennial, CO. I thought I might deliver it to it' s rightful owner one of these years. :D:D