Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting with expandables >

Elk hunting with expandables

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting with expandables

Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Spike

Default Elk hunting with expandables

I am shooting the '09 PSE Dream Season GX set @ 58 lbs which is shooting 297 fps and shooting a 358 grain arrow tipped with a Rocket Sidewinder expandable broadhead...do you guys see any problem with me shooting an expandable???

I do not have any doubts I just want to make sure.

I leave for New Mexico in a week.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

I have never been a fan of the idea but then again have not ever tried them.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like fixed blade heads as well with a slightly heavier arrow setup than you have but I am absolutely sure that if you put the arrow where it needs to be it will work. With an elk hitting the shoulder is not a great thing with either so just make sure you are confident in placing that mechanical in the sweet spot.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You say you have no doubts, but yet you have enough doubt to ask the question.

Speed is great, but with that light arrow, the speed will not equal great penetration, especially with a so so expandable broadhead. Elk are much larger than deer, have heavier bones and average shot distances are greater than whitetail. I simply don't like anything but the best built COC broadheads for elk hunting. You just don't get many chances to kill an elk, so I see know reason to use a broadhead that IMO, won't get full pass through penetration when given the shot opportunity.
Let us know how it works for ya. Good or bad!!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

only problem I see is that it's not a 2-blade rage! haha.

A few years ago on an elk hunt, the only guy to kill an elk was shooting 2 blade rages, actually put 2 arrows in the elk, I think one on each side, none the less either shot would've got the job done I believe.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Spike

Let us know how many elk you wound.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

A good expandable will work fine. I am intersted in how you are shooting a 358 gr arrow? Is that with out the nock, insert, broad head and any other add-on's? Seems very light...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Spike

if you are going to shoot a rocket i might take a look at a steelhead its a smaller cutting diameter but with no more pounds and light arrow that you are shooting i believe that with the sidewinder you may get alot of resistance where the steelhead may push all the way through many henters make the mistake of shooting large expandables with not enough kenetic energy to punch it thru. i shoot spitfires deer hunting but i am leaving in two weeks headed to montana and i will be packing nap hellrazors. good luck
Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Spike

i think your complete arrow is too light. and there is a reason expandables are illegal in several states. you might think about putting more emphasis on penetration and less on speed. ymmv.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

The world of expandables has come a long way. I personally shoot fixed blades.....they are cheaper and I can get them to group well at 60 yds so I have no reason to change but I have some hunting partners using them.

5 years ago I would have said stay away from them on elk. But good expandables in todays world seem to hold up pretty well on elk. Make sure you have a rage or something equivalent and you'll be just fine.

Check your arrow weight they like others have said. It seems a bit light for elk.

Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.