Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting with expandables >

Elk hunting with expandables

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting with expandables

Old 08-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed elk with expandables and fixed blades, Will never use expandables again dont like the peatration and I believe you lose to much energy with expandables.

Here is vid I found .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Spike

Default Info for the guys that think they know it all

Just for your information I had excellent luck with the set up I mentioned. 50 yd shot...exit hole....great blood trail...80 yds and dead elk.

For the guys that knew I had plenty of KE....don't be afraid of using expandables for elk.

And for the know-it -alls that had nothing positive to say about my question or my set up......STICK IT UP YOUR A$$ES.

Do not ask me to post pics or even respond to your comments that follow this post....you do not deserve any more of my time.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Spike

It is illegal in most Elk states to hunt big game with expandables and if you get caught shooting them it is more money and time than it is worth.. that being said they work fine no matter what kind you are shooting as long as you get a pass through and being a guide I have only seen two in seven years of guiding on Elk. You should first start by reading the states game laws to see if they are legal or not.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Greenbay
Just for your information I had excellent luck with the set up I mentioned. 50 yd shot...exit hole....great blood trail...80 yds and dead elk.

For the guys that knew I had plenty of KE....don't be afraid of using expandables for elk.

And for the know-it -alls that had nothing positive to say about my question or my set up......STICK IT UP YOUR A$$ES.

Do not ask me to post pics or even respond to your comments that follow this post....you do not deserve any more of my time.

Pretty strong reponse for someone asking a question, and people giving a response...just cuz you dont like their repsonses...

Some of us have hunted elk our whole lives, and know the varieties of things that can happen...from your signature, we deduce you are a person who is not able to be in the woods on a weekly basis hunting elk...(which does not mean your not an accomplished hunter, but possibly not as eperienced as some whom have responded)

I have hunted elk my whole life, taken a lot of bulls, been with a lot of friends who have taken a lot of bulls...

Have seen plenty of top shelf expandables do well on elk...However, I wont hunt with them, as they tend to not do so well on marginal or quartering shots...broadside, no issues...However, watched a mid level fixed blade hit between ribs, and blow the blades off it...Elk are TOUGH critters, do NOT understimate them...

would start wtih the first question that you should ask yourself...why are you wanting to use an expandable?
you already have them?
you like their flight, and dont want to change your bow set up?
Personally, prefer to start with a different question:
What is the best most durable best penetrating broadhead I can buy?
Elk are WAY tougher than Deer, and their bone structure is dramatically stronger...a rib on a bull is about like a shoulder on a small deer...

Just some suggestions, but you might not like them, based upon your response above...

Last edited by MTdream; 09-19-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Greenbay

Geez man!!! Take a chill pill. You asked the question of opinions and you got it. You sound like your the one with the stick up there not givin a crap about honest opinions when you asked the question. Grow up. Can expandables work for elk sure but are fixed heads better for the job thats the real question and most experienced elk hunters will side with the fixed head from experience. Put your pics up and show some damage, give a review for your equipment for cripes sake. Otherwise don't even post questions of this nature.............. Here is a big cow my buddy shot this year. Told him not to use the two blade rages but he just had to. Similar set up to yours but 70lbs with a 385gr arrow. 55 yard shot down hill into both lungs. Had good blood until she threw the arrow then he was searchin for drops and found her by seeing her not following blood. She went about 100 yards down hill. Big entrance but the hole throught he ribs he said he could maybe fit two fingers (thats no better than a fixed head would do and alot fo energy was lost). All he hit for bone was ribs and got no exit hole. The blades were messed up bad. He got her but elk are tough man and their bones are just as tough. I asked him after we got done with the 4 1/2 mile pack out if he was gonna used the heads again, he said, "NOPE!!". I just laughed. I've seen other guys that went with us use expandable before and loose elk and get lucky with a no blood trail find because high shots with no exits. Non of them use expandables anymore..... You got lucky you didn't smack a rib good. Here are the pics. The first pic is what it looked like when he found it. WCL

Big flesh hole but small hole through ribs = lots of KE loss

Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by justhuntitall
I have killed elk with expandables and fixed blades, Will never use expandables again dont like the peatration and I believe you lose to much energy with expandables.

Here is vid I found .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0
Gotta love watchin that. Boooo expandables, haha. WCL
Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

yeah I love the guys sense of humor at the end...pretty hard to fake those tests...remember some tests a while back shooting muzzies into a cinder block...

I have never used any other broadhead on elk than muzzy, but then when something works perfectly, you dont have to keep looking...
Old 09-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chickenrunn
It is illegal in most Elk states to hunt big game with expandables and if you get caught shooting them it is more money and time than it is worth.
Actually in most states expandables are legal.
I know that in;
Colorado
New Mexico
Montana
Utah
Washington
Arizona
California
Nebraska
Kentucky
Michigan
Alberta
Arkansas
British Columbia
Kansas
Nevada
Oklahoma &
Wyoming
it is legal to use expandables.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

wingchaser_labs

Great reply love the pics will have to keep this post in mind next time we get the expandable question .

Greenbay

I guess you shoot one elk it make you an expert on the subject lol.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To the rest of all of you who shared your time and experience I thank you ! It is what makes this forum work hats off .

Once in awhile you get a bad apple.

Thanks
Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.